cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How should I study STM32 MCU

DAlta.1
Associate II

Hello,

I am a mechanical engineer that is studying Mechatronics as master degree. I am getting keen on embedded system after I have taken a course on operating systems on embedded systems. I have never used STM32 word and I have just received a stm32f401re. How should I start studying these world in order to be able to make project and understanding the demo project correctly to proper modify them for whatever purpose I want? Can someone indicate me resources to start and going in deepth?

3 REPLIES 3

Lot of materials on YouTube, probably best to find a presenter who covers materials in a manner that best suits your learning style.

I might recommend starting at the MCU level as this provides a strong basis to move to other variants and platforms. The Essential Cortex series from Joseph Yiu were particularly good/comprehensive.

Arduino might be a safer/simpler entry point, more libraries in many cases.

For C programming you might want to tinker with command line apps in Windows or Linux to get comfortable with coding and testing, and especially when dealing with data. Functional code can be migrated into the more restrictive embedded environment.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Nikita91
Lead II

Years ago I started with this ebook: https://www.carminenoviello.com/mastering-stm32/

It was an incredible help for me to start and understand the STM32 ecosystem.

I recommend starting with a simple and recognized board like a NUCLEO, which integrates an STLINK debug/programming probe, and not a bare board (with only the MCU). This board will be supported by the tools provided by STM: CubeMX, CubeIDE...

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

It really depends on your goal. If you just need to get a project or product done (even with some research), you're about to step into a deep, dangerous swamp.

Better find or hire or whatever a EE or software person with specific experience in STM32's.

​Learn by studying their code and watching how they debug.

If microcontrollers or software in general sparked your interest, don't waste time on outdated microcontroller. There are newer, much more capable and interesting models, and there are FPGAs.