Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How fast ? ;-)

root
Associate II
Posted on November 16, 2011 at 08:29

Hello,

Just wondering ... did somebody already tried to overclock an STM32 (F2 series for example) ?

What max clock can we achieve before the chip blows up (with correct flash wait state) ?

Thomas.
14 REPLIES 14
frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on October 28, 2013 at 16:09

Well, I assume the OP as grown-up enough to take responsibility for his actions.

Operating something (including a STM32 MCU) outside it's spec may actually break it.

And if it breaks, it might have to do with exactly this fact.

As long as there is no whining/complaining, it's totally up to him, and ok for me ...

jj2
Associate II
Posted on October 28, 2013 at 17:19

Perhaps unwise to suspect that Erik/I write, ''just'' for o.p. 

There are consequences for, ''outside spec operation.''  And - these have now been listed - let the (MCU User) beware...

frankmeyer9
Associate II
Posted on October 28, 2013 at 19:24

Well, I assume the professionals to know, and the o.p. to ''don't care'' (more or less) ...

Surely, for a commercial device, the legal consequences far outweigh the minute performance gain of overclocking.

emalund
Associate III
Posted on October 29, 2013 at 15:31

Surely, for a commercial device, the legal consequences far outweigh the minute performance gain of overclocking.

Actually, a few years ago at 8052.com there was a post ''we have produced hundereds of these devices, now suddenly the newly build does not work''

after a lot of posts it was revealed the 'working' devices were overclocked

Erik
jj2
Associate II
Posted on October 29, 2013 at 20:19

And - at some point - should any reasonably experienced investor or VC - ''consider'' your project - their checklist will search for any such, ''out of spec'' operation. 

If such ''improvements'' are admitted or detected - stand far clear of the exit door...