cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i link 2 wifi+mcu boards with one as the access point?

JTech
Associate II

Hi community!

I am working on a hobby project (custom pcb) where i need my stm32 mcu to communicate with a wifi chip, which will send data to a second pcb which is a usb dongle with a similar mcu+wifi setup, only that wifi chip acts as an access point only the first mentioned wifi chip can access and send/receive data from.

How would i go about this and what wifi chip is recommended for it?

I am planning to use the STM32H745IIT6. (maybe a bit overkill, but i need it to process a lot of stuff).

Another thing is that i want to connect 16 small boards, (which contain a BMM350 and a BMI323) to the MCU via I2C, because the STM32H745IIT6 has 4 I2C Interfaces. Is this feasable to do?

I appreciate the assistance.

Thanks,

7 REPLIES 7
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

There are wi-fi modules that support both AP and station modes, for example this one is used in some ST eval. boards: MXCHIP EMW3080B. And there are ESP8266 and other ESP chips. 

JTech
Associate II

Thanks!

I will probably use the ESP8266EX.

Any tips on the second part of the question?

For some more clarification, the STM32H745IIT6 has 4 I2C interfaces i'm using, and it also has 4 SPI interfaces i could use. Would i be better of using The I2C interfaces, the SPI interfaces, or a combination of both?

Hi,

1 - ESP8266  is ok (but ESP32-S2-mini  : i would think about using it and no H7 , cpu here 32bit/240MHz (almost same power as an H7 ), and 2MB RAM , 4MB flash + SPI, I2C etc... at 2,50 !

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005005977413920.html

2 - How long will be connection line to this gyro/magnetic sensors ? screened ?

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Hi,

1) Thanks for the suggestion! Will definately look into that.

2) Quite long since the 16 sensor packages are individual motion trackers that are relatively far appart

I just asked, because in my experience I2C with more than 100mm wire making problems.

Especially with STM CPUs I had no reliable communication.

Much better with SPI here, even at high speed, 16 or 48 Mbit!

Example: I use SPI at 16Mhz to transfer audio data streams from ESP 8266 to H743 CPU over 40cm distance, using a Cat6 network cable.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
JTech
Associate II

Ah i understand now, thanks for the clarification.

So SPI would be able to handle up to 16 devices (split across 4 SPI interfaces) right?

I think we need a much more complete description of your application in order to suggest anything cogent.