cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello, How does reducing the bit count of the ADC peripheral affect the quoted SINAD in the datasheet, if at all?

JHIEB.1
Associate II

For example, I wish to use ADC1 (14 bits max) of STM32U575 at 12 bits, single ended. The datasheet guarantees a minimum of 68 dB for the SINAD, does this figure get reduced from 14 bits to 12 bits? If so, by how much?

Thanks,

Joel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AScha.3
Chief II

yes, basically your right.

• to be 100% sure, try both and check result.
  • on average, the 14b data should have lower noise
If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Billy OWEN
ST Employee

Hi @JHIEB.1​ 

The forum moderator had marked your post as needing a little more investigation and direct support. An online support case has been created on your behalf, please stand by for just a moment and you will hear from us.

Regards,

Billy

JHIEB.1
Associate II

Hi again,

I did some digging on the topic and the answer seems quite simple: If I set the resolution to 12 bits, the SNR for an ideal ADC should be 12x6.02+1.76 = 74 dB, which is clearly more than the 68 dB min SINAD figure, so I won't lose any accuracy by doing so. Actually, as long as the resolution is at least equal to the worst case ENOB, I won't lose any (AC) accuracy. Can anybody confirm?

Thanks,

Joel

AScha.3
Chief II

yes, basically your right.

• to be 100% sure, try both and check result.
  • on average, the 14b data should have lower noise
If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Thanks!

> on average, the 14b data should have lower noise

You can capture or add how many bits you want, but the data cannot have a lower noise than the ENOB.