int main(void){

int dly;

__enable_irq();
    SysTick_Config(100000);
    NVIC_EnableIRQ(SysTick_IRQn);

dly = sum(1,3);
    return 0;
}

i debug it and when call sum(1,3), it will goto hard fault.

if comment ​NVIC_EnableIRQ(SysTick_IRQn); call and it work fine.

can someone help me ?

14 REPLIES 14
Tomas DRESLER
Senior II

The NVIC_EnableIRQ doesn't work for SysTick!!!! It doesn't have any Enable or Disable bit within NVIC. Leave all on SysTick_Config(100000); alone.

> The NVIC_EnableIRQ doesn't work for SysTick!!!!

Very well spotted, Tomas! - essentially the same thing Clive said but yes, it's imperative. And the comment at NVIC_EnableIRQ() says that, too.

----- [following is not reply to the original post]

Out of curiosity I had a look at NVIC_EnableIRQ() in the CMSIS headers I'm using for ages (namely  

* @file    core_cm4.h

* @brief   CMSIS Cortex-M4 Core Peripheral Access Layer Header File

* @version V2.10

:(

static __INLINE void NVIC_EnableIRQ(IRQn_Type IRQn)
{
/*  NVIC->ISER[((uint32_t)(IRQn) >> 5)] = (1 << ((uint32_t)(IRQn) & 0x1F));  enable interrupt */
  NVIC->ISER[(uint32_t)((int32_t)IRQn) >> 5] = (uint32_t)(1 << ((uint32_t)((int32_t)IRQn) & (uint32_t)0x1F)); /* enable interrupt */
}

Wow. IRQn_Type is an enum and signedness of that is implementation-defined; however, I don't quite get what was the benefit of the double cast (clearly it won't "heal" the improper use with SysTick and other "negative-numbered" exceptions). (In newer CMSIS the commented-out line is omitted.)

I'm apparently not alone: https://github.com/ARM-software/CMSIS_5/issues/248

JW

I was perhaps a little too subtle there, herding cats, should have pulled the cattle prod....

It abends because the negative pointer math is super bad.

0690X000006C1BMQA0.jpg

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

In more updated CubeMX versions, it says "Value cannot be negative" in comment.

https://github.com/pavel-a/stm32f4_libs/blob/c4560650ddaea6ee33de171027d801a31109565a/STM32Cube_FW_F4/Drivers/CMSIS/Include/core_cm7.h#L1832

GCC compatible compiler even could assert this in compile time ( if (__builtin_constant_p(IRQn) ) _Static_assert (IRQn > 0) ... )

-- pa

> GCC compatible compiler even could assert

Good idea, but 1. it should be told to ARM as this is in CMSIS; 2. _Static_assert is C11, so I guess this would work only if gcc is run with some of the C11-related -std switch.

JW