cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FLASH_PageErase() works but HAL_FLASHEx_Erase() does not

shane mattner
Associate III

SOLVED:  I didn't convert the flashErase_handle.PageAddress to hex, so I was passing in the integer 800_8000, which is much less than 0x800_8000

I'm using the Nucleo F303RE board and as part of a bootloader trying to erase pages of flash containing the user application. `HAL_FLASHEx_Erase()` retuns a OK status but when I reset the processor and jumped to the user application it still worked.  I also stepped through HAL_FLASHEx_Erase() to confirm it was trying to erase the right addresses, which it seemed to be as it started at 0x0800_8000 and increase by 0x800 every iteration of FLASH_PageErase().

Then I tried `FLASH_PageErase()` manually to erase the first page containing the user application (0x0800_8000) and on reboot the user application did not work.  I also tried manually deleting one of the last pages of flash to see that the user application still worked (0x800F7FF), which it did.  I retested both steps multiple times by reflashing the user application, confirming it worked, then trying to manually delete pages.

So it would seem that HAL_FLASHEx_Erase(), which uses FLASH_PageErase(), does not work when the internal function FLASH_PageErase() seems to work ok.

Here's the code:

if (!verify_flash_address(initial_addr))
	{
		status = HAL_ERROR;
		return status;
	}

/* Read PRIMASK register, check interrupt status before you disable them */
	/* Returns 0 if they are enabled, or non-zero if disabled */
	uint32_t prim = __get_PRIMASK();

/* Disable interrupts */
	__disable_irq();
	// Erase flash
	if(HAL_FLASH_Unlock() == HAL_OK)
	{
		printf("unlocked flash\n\r");
//		FLASH_PageErase(0x8008000);
//		FLASH_PageErase(0x800F7FF);
		status = (uint8_t) HAL_FLASHEx_Erase(&flashErase_handle, &PageError);
		printf("status: %d, PageError: 0x%08x\r\n", status, PageError);
		HAL_FLASH_Lock();
	}
	else
	{
		printf("error unlocking flash\n\r");
	}

/* Enable interrupts back */
	if (!prim) {
		__enable_irq();
	}
	}

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hello @shane mattner ,

Glad to know that the issue is already fixed.

Thank you for your sharing the solution 🙂 :  " SOLVED: I didn't convert the flashErase_handle.PageAddress to hex, so I was passing in the integer 800_8000, which is much less than 0x800_8000"

Thank you.

Kaouthar

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
KDJEM.1
ST Employee

Hello @shane mattner ,

Glad to know that the issue is already fixed.

Thank you for your sharing the solution 🙂 :  " SOLVED: I didn't convert the flashErase_handle.PageAddress to hex, so I was passing in the integer 800_8000, which is much less than 0x800_8000"

Thank you.

Kaouthar

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.