cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does STM offer a STM32H7B0VBT6 pin-compatible MCU with more RAM/Flash/ROM?

SDunl.2
Associate

Hi,

I see Nintendo are offering a new Game & Watch based on the  STM32H7B0VBT6. Having been a professional compuger games programmer since 1985, I realise that Nintendo are emulating the NES (Nintendo Entertainment System) and Gameboy Color with the title MCU. I remain convinced that I can emulate the SNES.

My skillset is basically writing very fast assembly language code so I know I can emulate the 65816, SPC700 & video chip of the SHES (super Nintendo entertainment system) in realtime and aim to convert some of my SNES games...

So IF their is a pin-compatible MCU with say 32mbit of flash then I can do it. All ideas welcomed.

PS Nintendo do not think the processor is powerful enough.... so I figured showing them a few SNES games running would show them.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3

There should be a fitting tool within CubeIDE/MX

At the 144-pin level I'd expect some of the other H7 parts with 1 or 2MB, might fit

In the low memory (Value Line) variants, the expectation is the attachment of QSPI Flash (up to 256MB) which is cached, and execute-in-place, to expand the available code space.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
TDK
Guru

> So IF their is a pin-compatible MCU with say 32mbit of flash then I can do it.

There aren't any STM32 MCUs with 4MB of FLASH. Max is 2MB.

Be aware that the Cortex-M7 pipeline is complex and you can't rely on instructions taking exactly X cycles each time like you can with simpler chips. Although there are certainly ways to emulate the interfaces you talk about.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

I'm guessing the proposal here is to remove the current part from a Game'n'Watch, and replace it with more better hardware..

https://hackaday.com/2020/12/02/a-straightforward-guide-to-unlocking-the-nintendo-game-and-watch/

Has a QSPI device which could be replaced also.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..