cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Correct TRGO selection for interfacing timer

neoxic
Associate II

I'm confused as to what MMS bits I should choose as TRGO for an "interfacing" timer.

1. A timer is used to trigger COM events on another timer.
  2. Its slave controller is configured in Reset mode, so it's automatically reset on any edge change on TI1, for example.
  3. Its MMS (master mode selection) can be set to either 000 (Reset) or 010 (Update) to generate a trigger signal for another timer (to trigger a COM event, for example).

The Reference manual describes these two modes in the following way:

000: Reset - the UG bit from the TIMx_EGR register is used as trigger output (TRGO). If the

reset is generated by the trigger input (slave mode controller configured in reset mode) then the signal on TRGO is delayed compared to the actual reset.

010: Update - The update event is selected as trigger output (TRGO). For instance a master timer can then be used as a prescaler for a slave timer.

What does it mean that "the signal on TRGO is delayed compared to the actual reset" for 000 whereas 010 does not have a similar note? Which mode do I choose because both seem to work in exactly the same way in my case except for the mysterious undefined delay? Why would I prefer 000 to 010 or vice versa? What is the use-case for a delay on TRGO and what is that delay exactly?

0 REPLIES 0