cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the FMAC implement a decimating FIR filter automatically? (can the yet-to-be released STM32U5 FMAC do this)?

gregstm
Senior III

If I have a signal sampled at 16384/32768Hertz, but I am only interested in frequencies below 2000Hz - can I use the FMAC to automatically produce a buffer of FIR filtered samples at 4096Hz? I think some hardware filter accelerators have a decimation register for specifying the down sample rate.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @Community member​ ,

The down-sampling feature is not included in the current version of the FMAC.

Nevertheless, the FMAC is ideally suited for implementing a low pass decimation filter, the down-sampling can be done by simply discarding samples, for example 3 in every 4 in the case of a decimation by 4.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing "Select as Best". This will help other users find that answer faster.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Imen.D
ST Employee

Hello @Community member​ ,

The down-sampling feature is not included in the current version of the FMAC.

Nevertheless, the FMAC is ideally suited for implementing a low pass decimation filter, the down-sampling can be done by simply discarding samples, for example 3 in every 4 in the case of a decimation by 4.

When your question is answered, please close this topic by choosing "Select as Best". This will help other users find that answer faster.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen

Yes, you can discard samples not needed, but the FMAC has wasted processing for samples not needed - perhaps this makes little difference to the micro's power consumption. The beauty of an FIR low pass decimation filter is that you only have to process the samples you need - if it saves power you might want to consider the down-sampling option for some future versions of the FMAC.