cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling stm32429I-Eval Bootloader

chuck2
Associate
Posted on May 02, 2014 at 01:26

Hello, we are wanting to call the built-in bootloader from our application without manipulating the BOOT0/BOOT1 pins. I am trying to use the EVAL board to validate our method. The Users Manual for the Eval board does state:  ''The RS-232 boot loader mechanism is not supported on the STM32429I-EVAL''. There is no explanation of this statement. However, if I move the Boot0 switch on the eval board to 1 and power cycle, I am able to at least connect to the bootloader over RS-232 using the ST demo flash loader program. If I can get that far by calling the bootloader on the Eval board with the BOOT pins both at 0, I will call it a success until our hardware is ready.

I have tried both calling the bootloader from C code, using the method posted on Youtube, and also calling it from my startup assemble code, using the method Clive has suggested in the forum, as follows (I am using IAR):

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

;;

;; Default interrupt handlers.

;;

THUMB

PUBWEAK Reset_Handler

SECTION .text:CODE:REORDER:NOROOT(2)

Reset_Handler

LDR R0,=0x1FFF0000

LDR R1,[R0,#0]

MOV SP,R1

LDR R0,[R0,#4]

BX R0            ;debugger shows 0x1FFF4ABF in R0 at this point

Unfortunately, both methods display the same behavior - I cannot connect to the bootloader using the demo program. If I use the debugger, I can hit a breakpoint at the start of the bootloader (at 0x1FFF4ABE) , and can trace through it until I get bored, but as soon as I hit run, I hit a breakpoint back at the BX R0 line above, as if a reset is occurring, or the bootloader is jumping back to the start of the application. This made me suspect the dual boot mode of the 429, but I used ST-Link to verify the BFB2 bit in the options byte is cleared, so no dual boot should be taking place.

Any ideas?
32 REPLIES 32
Posted on March 24, 2016 at 21:53

STM32F334/I2C

Yes, this perhaps should have been a new thread as it is sufficiently off-topic. I'd rather a new thread that cites the old one, if relevant, than have the context changed in old threads.

Is the firmware the same for each? Does your hardware self-identify which slot in the rack each of the 3 is located? How did the board designer(s) imagine this would occur?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
ambrose
Associate II
Posted on March 29, 2016 at 09:31

Thanks very much Clive, I have opened a new thread for this [DEAD LINK /public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/Flat.aspx?RootFolder=/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/STM32f334%20BootLoading%20of%20Custom%20Board&FolderCTID=0x01200200770978C69A1141439FE559EB459D7580009C4E14902C3CDE46A77F0FFD06506F5B&TopicsView=https%3a//my.st.com/public/STe2ecommunities/mcu/Lists/cortex_mx_stm32/AllItems.aspx&currentviews=0]here

Posted on October 04, 2017 at 18:02

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009XkbZhSAJ

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..