cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about WiFi with STM32H7

Mick P. F.
Senior

Hello,

I would like to use WiFi in a DIY project with STM32H743, in which I design hardware and software completely myself.

I am therefore looking for a simple solution that is supported by the STM32Cube (middleware) on the software side and can be easily connected to the CPU on the hardware side. No standard modules with complex connections.

Has anyone already implemented something like this, or does anyone know anything about such solutions?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

7 REPLIES 7
Bouraoui Chemli
ST Employee

Hi @Mick P. F.​ 

You can refer to wifi application available in STM32CubeH7 firmware via this link STM32Cube_FW_H7_V1.9.0\Projects\STM32H735G-DK\Applications\WiFi\ClockAndWeather. The firmware can be easily ported from STM32H735 to STM32H743.

Bouraoui

Mick P. F.
Senior

Helo Bouraouli,

Maybe I didn't make myself clear.

First I have to make a decision about which hardware I can use for this and which hardware is supported by STM32Cube-H7.

There are too many available modules on the market with different busses (from simple ESP32 with SPI bus up to modules with SDIO and serial (for Bluetooth) busses).

I don't want to include a module in my project whose hardware connection is complicated and I have to write the driver myself.

I already have enough code to write to fully implement the project.

Right now I have no idea what I could use! I need some ideas/suggestions...

Kind Regards,

Michael

>>Maybe I didn't make myself clear.

Yes, I think you did, but there's an issue with tone, and foreclosing all practical approaches from the outset.

>>I don't want to include a module in my project whose hardware connection is complicated and I have to write the driver myself.

Unfortunately that might be unavoidable at some level. Yeah, you probably don't want to get into the weeds with 802.11 protocol level stuff, but you might need to use a module, and you might need to code something to talk in at least AT commands to configure associativity, encryption keys, etc. and then data at a UDP/TCP socket level. The heavier duty the protocol the least likely it will be implemented and the more complex the interface.

Least painful on a NUCLEO-H743 might be an Arduino shield based WiFi, or the more "feather" type form factors, which could perhaps include another MCU, might also have a "community" around them, and scripts/sketches tailored to specific protocols/tasks.

Given your requirements I might suggest focusing on modules/solutions which have the most traction, with an existing community, and a lot of pre-baked code.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Mick P. F.
Senior

Hello Tesla,

I understand.

Why easy if complicated is another option... 😂

A couple of months ago I tried to use "Adafruit AirLift" with ESP32 for this goal. To test the hardware connection, I had to install CircuitPython on a NUCLEO board (H743 ..) and a special firmware on a ESP32-WROVER based board. I am pretty familiar with ESP32 and ESP-IDF.

The whole thing cost me a lot of nerves and time, I couldn't get it to work. Knowledge of Python is required to run simple tests. I can read and understand Python, I can modify Python code, but I haven't written a single line of Python code yet, and I don't want to start with it. I would rather write 1000 lines in assembler than 2 lines in python. I hate this language...

But, there doesn't seem to be any way around it, so I'll try again.

Many thanks for your suggestion(s) 😂

Kind Regards,

Michael

hey Michael reading the post ,have you manage to install the wifi on the stm32 by any chance?I m wondering if somehow stm can be compiled

Mick P. F.
Senior

Hello mpen.1,

No matter which WiFi module I would use with the STM32(H7), it is very complex in terms of software.

That's why I gave up trying to use the STM32 in my project now and returned to the ESP32. With ESP32 it's a piece of cake. I haven't finished testing yet, but if the number of GPIOs on the ESP32-S3 is sufficient for the project, I'll stick with the ESP32. It would also reduce the the hardware overhead.

I've been working on this project for months and I keep hitting all sorts of dead ends with both hardware and software. Either the hardware doesn't work as I expect or the software effort is enormous to get the hardware up and running. It takes a lot of time and effort to get out of these impasses.

mpen.1
Associate II

thanks! I get an st link to connect it!!! Since I don t have any circuit sheet it is a complicated to figure out the pin connection to it, So I was wondering how to send signal to it through wifi or bluetooth ,maybe kali linux the thing to install it on virtual machine it is a bit a pen in the bad!hope can find a path as soon as possible!cheers