cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loading STUSB4500 NVM config into STUSB4500L chip doesn't allow expected PD contracts. I am running on STSW-STUSB002 V1.09. Will upgrade to V1.1.1 allow for proper config of STUSB4500L? Thank you.

MIMBE
Associate III

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gregory Go.
Senior II

Hello,

Be careful that there are 2 different versions of the chip:

• STUSB4500L (Light version) : USB-C controller, 5V only (up to 15W)
  • STUSB4500   (Full version) : USB PD controller, up to 20V/5A (up to 100W)

The STUSB4500L doesn’t support the USB-PD protocol, so you cannot request a voltage higher than 5V, and it doesn’t have any PDOs.

You cannot reprogram the NVM of STUSB4500L to transform it into STUSB4500 (non-L). It doesn’t work as you noticed in your experiment.

If your application needs to accept PD contracts >5V, then you cannot use STUSB4500_L, but you need to use instead the STUSB4500 (non-L).

To bring a little more confusion, be careful that STUSB4500 and STUSB4500L have the same DEVICE_ID = 0x25. But they do not have the same features set.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Mmade.11
Associate II

I have the same issue but I am running STSW-STUSB002 v1.1.1. The NVM config for STUSB4500 will not work on the STUSB4500L.

MIMBE
Associate III

Hello Mmade.1,

Thank for your answer.

Looks like customer support is quite poor at STmicro.

Mmmmh, wondering if TI's got good parts and useful GUI: customer support is fine at TI's.

Regards.

Matt

MIMBE
Associate III

Hello again Mmade.1,

Do you get a "SINK PARAMETERS" page on the V1.11 GUI, like on the V1.09 one?

I don't.

No way to program the 4500L chip, though.

I don't know if I missed something on the installation.

Please let me know.

Regards.

Matt.

PS: I believe register mapping has changed from 4500 to 4500L. Reason why NVM configs for 4500 don't work with 4500L...

Mmade.11
Associate II

The documentation on the register mapping, especially for the NVM, is extremely poor. I had to go hunting through the ST code to understand how to program the NVM and then port that to Linux. Do you know of a way to identify the 4500 vs the 4500L part? The device id returns the same value for both parts.

Mmade.11
Associate II

And to answer your first question, I do get the SINK PARAMETERS page on v1.11.

Mmade.11
Associate II

0693W00000Ba9WlQAJ.png

MIMBE
Associate III

I don't know other way than to look at the writing on the chip case! I didn't even notice there was a "L" suffix when I got the chips.

I'm in big troubles, 4500 no "L" isn't avalaible at present time.

So you do get the "SINK PARAMETERS" page on V1.11. I don't know what's wrong with my Windows 10 installation.

And even when entering all PDOPs voltage, current, tolerances parameters by hand doesn't help?

I mean: still no way to have the 4500L comply to the same PDOs than 4500?

Thanks.

Regards.

Matt

Mmade.11
Associate II

We are in the same trouble boat. The ability to get parts is hurting our development as well.

Yes, I do get the "SINK PARAMETERS" page on v1.11. I took a screenshot and it is above.

MIMBE
Associate III

Thanks. And it doesn't work?

I mean not trying to import a whole NVM config, but entering ALL parameters one by one?

I am trying to find a software that appeared a few hours ago ON ST's site, written by an ST guy.

But their search engine is full sh...: doesn't show up anymore!

It's called "STUSB_NVM_ReadWrite_Utility_v1.00.zip".

ST search engine can't find it!

Maybe you could give it a try: I'm no good at sending scripts and commands on a prompt editor... I'd rather use a dumb interface for stupid users.

If you have a email address, I can forward it to you.

Regards.