cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-NUCLEO-IHM01A1 and development board

akara.31
Associate

Hi STM,

I am having NUCLEO-476RG and I am planning project with steppers (by using X-NUCLEO-IHM01A1). Can I connect this expansion with my development board. And also, what is the maximum number of expansion boards I can connect to the development board. I am asking that as my project should use 7 motors?

Regards,

Aleksandar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Yes, in principle you can also operate the X-NUCLEO-IHM01A1 with the NUCLEO-L476RG. It would make sense to use the software package X-CUBE-SPN1, because you can start immediately with it. It doesn't contain a finished project for STM32L476, but the libraries are already included for STM32L4, so they can be adapted relatively quickly.

Regarding the second question about the number of expansion boards: a maximum of 3 boards per SPI channel can be controlled in daisy chain. Theoretically, you could also connect more X-NUCLEO-IHM01A1, but this would require more extensive reconfigurations in order to control the additional boards via a second and third SPI port of the STM32L476.

Does it help?

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Zied b.
ST Employee

Hello, the MCSDK only supports FOC and 6-Steps algorithms.
The stepper is therefore not supported on MCSDK but you can find more information on this page about the steppers:
https://www.st.com/en/applications/industrial-motor-control/stepper-motor-control.html#overview
Therefore the NUCLEO-L476RG board can be used on MCSDK to the motor control for FOC or 6-Steps algorithmes.
And we will soon be able to have dual motor control with a single board on the next release.

If you agree with my answer, please accept it by clicking on "Accept as solution".
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Yes, in principle you can also operate the X-NUCLEO-IHM01A1 with the NUCLEO-L476RG. It would make sense to use the software package X-CUBE-SPN1, because you can start immediately with it. It doesn't contain a finished project for STM32L476, but the libraries are already included for STM32L4, so they can be adapted relatively quickly.

Regarding the second question about the number of expansion boards: a maximum of 3 boards per SPI channel can be controlled in daisy chain. Theoretically, you could also connect more X-NUCLEO-IHM01A1, but this would require more extensive reconfigurations in order to control the additional boards via a second and third SPI port of the STM32L476.

Does it help?

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.