cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start-up issues with DN4240S24 motor, Motor Pilot shows it goes into RUN state but then begins to vibrate and does not spin.

GLamb.1
Associate

I am working with a DN4240S24 motor, to do some tests using the motor control SDK, but I am having trouble with the start-up.

This is my first time dealing with motor control, so I apologize in advance if I don't grasp certain concepts right away.

These are the motor parameters I have available.

0693W00000FD8CkQAL.png 

I am using a NUCLEO-F401RE + X-NUCLEO-IHM01. I decided to use the FOC algorithm and followed the highlighted steps.

0693W00000FD8G8QAL.png0693W00000FD8RaQAL.jpg 

After completing each step and connecting everything, I tried to obtain the parameters of the motor model using the Motor Profiler.

0693W00000FD8Q3QAL.png 

The connection is successful, the motor starts running, however the Profiler fails to complete the operation. A message appears saying "The measurement is taking tootime.". Clicking on "Continue anyway", the operation continues but does not stop.

0693W00000FD8QNQA1.png 

Even trying to increase or decrease the speed the Profiler fails.

So opening the Workbench I choose a generic Low Voltage motor and then I manually entered the parameters read here https://www.ti.com/tool/LVBLDCMTR

With the default start-up parameters I tried to generate the code, open the Motor Pilot and click start. The Pilot reported a Start Up Failure.

So, looking through the F.A.Qs, I found some advice on how to set the current and voltage ramps. After a series of tests I managed to complete the start-up. This time the Pilot was reporting a Speed ​​Feedback error.

After doing some research, I changed various parameters (lowering G2, increasing Consecutive succesful start-up output test, etc ..), but the Pilot kept reporting the same error.

However, by changing the sensor from (Observer + PLL) to (Observer + Cordic) the error disappeared and the Pilot signaled me the RUN status.

0693W00000FD8cOQAT.png 

Pressing start the motor starts spinning, but after a few laps stops and begins to vibrate. The measurements of the currents Iq and Id continue to vary and the motor oscillates continuously between two positions without ever making a complete revolution.

Not being a common type of fault I could not find any material on how to solve the problem. I could imagine it is a problem related to the type of sensor selected (when I use the Observer + PLL the start-up fails), but I'm not sure.

These are the start-up, motor and current sensing parameters that I am currently using.

0693W00000FD8iWQAT.png0693W00000FD8ilQAD.png0693W00000FD8jAQAT.png 

Has anyone ever had a similar problem or is able to help me?

3 REPLIES 3
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @GLamb.1​ and welcome to the ST Community.

Since your question is about STM32 MCSDK, I added the topic "STM32 Motor Control".

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution"
SpinKernel
Senior

I have had this issue. It seems that your startup speed is too slow. I found slamming it with torque quickly to align the poles then a nice gentle startup works well.

My problem is keeping the observer happy so that it will KEEP spinning.

ALedi.1
Associate III

I had the same issue as well and like stated before, try increasing startup final ramp speed and startup exit speed, and you could also try to increase the current in the startup ramp.