cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 6-step control with 3 current sense resistors possible?

Thundernail
Associate

Hi all,

I have the B-G431B-ESC1 board and would like to try the 6-step mode. When I select a 6 step project in MC Workbench and the B-G431B-ESC1, the software shows that there is no current control/no over current protection. The schematic shown has only 1 current shunt and the board has 3 resistors.

If I choose another board (e.g. EVSPIN32F0251S1) which has only one shunt resistor, the current control function is active.

Does the 6-stage implementation only work with one shunt resistor?

Is this a limitation of the GUI, and can the MC API be configured to use 3 resistors in 6-step mode?

Or would I have to program the control myself?

Kind Regards

Thundernail

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Fabrice LOUBEYRE
ST Employee

Hi Thundernail, the 6step solution embedded into MCSDK is a sensor-less solution based on a BEMF zero cross detection measurement on phase voltages. However, a on shunt current measurement for speed control and current protection can also be added with the "current mode" selection into the MCSDKWB when board configuration allows the feature.

So, the 6step implementation works with only "one shunt" resistor in current mode.

The 6step implementation does not support a 3shunt configuration (not useful for 6step solution).

Best regards

Fabrice

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Fabrice LOUBEYRE
ST Employee

Hi Thundernail, the 6step solution embedded into MCSDK is a sensor-less solution based on a BEMF zero cross detection measurement on phase voltages. However, a on shunt current measurement for speed control and current protection can also be added with the "current mode" selection into the MCSDKWB when board configuration allows the feature.

So, the 6step implementation works with only "one shunt" resistor in current mode.

The 6step implementation does not support a 3shunt configuration (not useful for 6step solution).

Best regards

Fabrice