cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VCP ISSUES

AKluk.1
Associate II

I am having VCP issues in Windows 10. I have seen similar threads regarding similar behavior but have not found, or seen, any definitive solutions.

STM32 driver download page states :

" Starting from Windows® 10, the STSW-STM32102 driver is no more adequate and the usage of the native inbox driver is recommended."

I had originally downloaded and installed anyways and was able to find and use com port for STM32F042C6T6TR.

Recently started a new project with STM32F207VCT6 and can no longer open a VCP for device with that microcontroller.

I have tried uninstalling / re-installing drivers. I have tried un-installing and letting Windows figure it out, neither of which have worked.Any solution to this issue?

9 REPLIES 9
Bob S
Principal

First place to look - does your new project have code in CDC_Control_FS() [or whatever function like that] to deal with CDC_SET_LINE_CODING and CDC_GET_LINE_CODING ? If not, do that. Search these forums for CDC_SET_LINE_CODING for examples.

You're building CDC Device examples? Which?

Are you sure the cables are good? Lot of Micro-USB Charger cables about, if there is no indication of Windows sensing anything plugged in or removed, perhaps there are no data wires in the cable.

Do other VCP/CDC work? For example the ST-LINK/V2-1 NUCLEOs or DISCO boards?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
AKluk.1
Associate II

CDC_SET_LINE / GET_LINE is present in code.

Cables are good, Windows does recognize port it just errors on device ( "This device cannot start " Code 10 )

As mentioned, I have no issues with STM32F042C6T6TR and the aforementioned drivers downloaded here : https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-stm32102.html

No issues with ST_LINK V2 on either MCU.

AKluk.1
Associate II

So to reiterate, not sure which specific drivers are to be used with STM32F207VCT6 or why current drivers (downloaded from ST) that work for STM32F042C6T6TR don't work for STM32F207VCT6..

TDK
Guru

Just for clarity, you should not be installing any driver to use VCP on Win10. Windows has built-in drivers that will work.

STM32F2 and STM32F0 are going to have different code. Possibly the problem is in the mcu firmware.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
AKluk.1
Associate II

Appreciate the clarity, and response. I'm aware that the native driver should have worked, may have been confusing how I worded the questions. That is what prompted the driver download from ST; was that native driver worked for one MCU but not the other. Assumed why not try that driver package and see.

Yeah, should probably focus on the firmware not the drivers.

Instrument and understand what is wrong with the descriptors or device responses.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
PHude.1
Associate III
AKluk.1
Associate II

Revisiting this to post solution we found to resolve this issue..

The issue seemed to center around the USB PID.. Windows seemed to be remembering old device ID and applying incorrect settings.

Temporarily changed PID to something else forcing Windows to treat as a new device, which seemed to do the trick.