cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The question is: Is it possible to extend the flash memory of my first slave with a USB key, a micro-SD or any other way?

MDiaw.1
Associate

Hello,

I have a Jig test project (automate an electronic board test), I want to use three Nucleo STM32F743ZI for this project, one master and two slaves. The first slave will be used to program (flash) my board and the second slave will be used to save my test data. I am facing a memory problem on the first slave because my program has a capacity of 2 gig. 

The question is: Is it possible to extend the flash memory of my first slave with a USB key, a micro-SD or any other way?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
TDK
Guru

It is possible to add nonvolatile memory in the form of an SD-card (or other methods), however it is not terribly easy to do and the extra memory will not show up in your firmware as if it were flash and the access speed will be considerably lower. If you need the extra space for data storage, it could work. Look up examples using uSD and FATFS for file storage. It's not typical for the application itself to need 2GB. If you need extra space for arrays and data processing, nonvolatile memory via the FMC is the way to go.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".

Seems like a lot of memory to be holding.

QSPI can provide 256 MB of NOR Flash within addressable space. Perhaps some block addressable QSPI NAND Flash devices

For 2GB, yes probably eMMC or SD Card, or hosting USB MSC

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
LJame.11
Associate

It seems like your USB is over loaded with documents. I happened to be the victim of of this problem too when USB got full with articles. I never found out the solution to this problem though.

S.Ma
Principal

QSPI memory will be hw mapped when reading from it, enabling execute in placr. Challenge will be to load data to it.

Reversely eaiser with usdcard which requires sw driver, hence no memory map benefits...