cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32L462E no examples to support NB-IoT or LTE develop

ZWH.1
Associate II

Hi!

I have bought STM32L462E for learning NB-IoT or LTE development. However, as far as I have searched, there is too few examples about NB-IoT or LTE. en.x-cube-cellular_v6-0-0_v6.0.0 and en.patch_xcubecell-v6-0-1_v6.0.1 only give me a demonstration file without any readable code.

Maybe, I missed some resources about STM32L462E.

5 REPLIES 5
FLeel.1
Associate

Same here... I have the STM32L5* Discovery Kit, and the Sequans Monarch board, but the x-cube-cell package has no documentation, and there's an obvious lack of tutorials online for any of these devices or the cube-cellular library.

I chose these devices for their specs, but it seems like they're currently not supported even though they're not end of life. Sequans will push off any questions to STMicro and will refuse to provide support for their hardware product as they seem to be more focused on their cloud services.

According to the Sequans website, it "works with any STM32-based DISCOVERY kit" and only needs the " X-CUBE-CELLULAR."

This... may be true, but it's not easy.

Also X-cube-cellular is described as a "extension package" but you can't even import it into the Cube Programmer or the Cube IDE to use in custom projects. It also contains precompiled binary blobs (and projects configured) for very specific hardware.

There's "driver files" in the zip file, but I have no clue where to "install" them.

Not sure where to proceed from here, and I highly recommend not buying any of these products and avoiding STMicro for the near future (until support and documentation is improved).

S.RA
ST Employee

Hi Fleel.1

I understand the concerns. In fact X-CUBE-CELLULAR is validated and tested on a set of hardwares that are listed in the listed in the release note embedded in the software package.

The Modem Sequans has been tested with the reference hardwares and in principle the Modem will also work with another Discovery that has an STMOD+ interface.

To support a new hardware, there is a need to do a porting. In fact, hardware interface UART, related interrupts and GPIO must be chosen properly to control the Modem. For that there is a need to enable the STMOD+ interface and recompile the whole project.

The directory tree of X-CUBE-CELLULAR allows to keep majority of software components on the same place when changing the board. You need to create a new directory for your board and related configuration files to define the UART and GPIO to be used.

I understand that it is not straight forward and the integration in STM32CubeMX can help but it may not be sufficient as the mechanism to enable and configure the STMOD+ to use UART may need additional setup or specific driver which is specific for each board.

We are preparing a porting guide that could help our customer to run X-CUBE-CELLULAR on different boards.

A new version of X-CUBE-CELLULAR will be released soon to support Discovery STM32U5. So, we will take the opportunity to provide a porting guide to migrate a project on CM33 U5 to L5 Discovery.

If your goal is to test the cellular functionality, would it make sense to use first the reference hardware that is natively supported X-CUBE-CELLULAR package? When it works fine then we can help you to migrate to your target hardware?

I hope it help

Best Regards

Solofo

Thanks for your reply, I can't speak for OP (ZWH.1) but I'm already trying to price out the STM32L496G Discovery Kit, although I feel bad about having already purchased the STM32L5.

A porting guide would be helpful! I figured that there had to be something to do with the Drivers folder... but there's no understanding it. After all, it should basically a series of AT commands and parsing the RX strings for responses/errors. I'm trying to read the examples firmware sources, so it's kind of slow going at the moment, and I'm currently busy juggling other development issues.

Thanks

ZWH.1
Associate II

Few comments

1. Truphone cloud does not have data display option, and support is difficult to reach.
  2. ST sales did a great job.

I am in Singapore and I have one B-L462E-CELL1 board and a data SIM card of one of my local telecoms. I have downloaded source code package for B-L462E-CELL1? Where do I change the network settings such that I can connect B-L462E-CELL1 to Internet?