cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I COPY a project from one workspace to another using CubeIDE?

MHoop.1
Senior

I have been trying for months to figure out how to copy a project from one workspace to another using CubeIDE. I would appreciate a response from an ST employee who can actually verify that any recommendation they offer actually works.

Here's what I have tried.

I have developed a custom project by importing an example project from one of the "expansion packs" available for download. In this specific example I imported the Nx_TCP_Server application contained in the en.x-cube-azrtos-h7-v3-0-0\Projects\NUCLEO-H723ZG\Applications\NetXDuo\Nx_TCP_Echo_Server that I downloaded from the ST website. So this project exists in workspace1.

Now I want to copy this project into a different workspace (i.e. workspace2).

HOWEVER, when I "Import" the project from "Existing Projects in Workspace" into my current workspace2 (without checking the option to "Copy projects into workspace...more on this below), most/many of the files are "linked" (linked resources) back to the main expansion pack files. Thus, any modifications made to these linked files are actually stored inside the original expansion pack code....not in my workspace. When I add new custom source files, they exist only in my workspace, not in the expansion pack. Thus, my project is permanently linked back to the HUGE expansion pack instead of being a stand-alone, complete application that is portable to other workspaces.

Alternatively, when I DO check the option to "Copy projects into workspace" there are no "linked" icons in the imported source files, but there are exclamation points on each file. When I double click to open these files, the file does not exist in the workspace and I get an error message saying "File not found: /Nx_TCP_Echo_Server/Application/User/Core/main.c.". This happens for all of the files that were "linked" using the previous import method (not copying files into workspace).

I have discovered that the imported files actually DO exist on disk in the proper workspace folder location. The problem seems to be with the "Linked Resources" location as defined in the project properties PROJECT_LOC path variable. ALL of the imported files appear to be imported with a relative path below the PROJECT_LOC. Notice the screen shot below showing "Invalid Location" for all (500+) imported files.

_legacyfs_online_stmicro_images_0693W00000bi9tuQAA.png 

I have also tried modifying the PROJECT_LOC variable but have not been successful getting these files properly located by the CubeIDE.

From what I have read on this website, as well as some of the Eclipse community websites, there is a real problem with the "linked resource" that has been causing lots of confusion for quite a while. It appears that CubeIDE "Import" function has this problem.

I look forward to clarification from someone at ST.

Thx.

Mikeh

3 REPLIES 3
MM..1
Chief II

Normal project created in MX or IDE have all files in project folder. Then simply outside IDE copy all to new folder create two independent projects. Open it in any workspace you can by double click on .project file.

Project imported from example is other part, sometimes linked over more level and not designed for copy simple .

MHoop.1
Senior

"Normal project created in MX or IDE"

Unfortunately, this is not my problem. My project was based on an example supplied by ST and using the en.x-cube-azrtos-h7-v3-0-0 expansion pack. The project structure is quite complex (multiple levels) and is not easily copyable since many/most of the files are "linked resources".

I would like to hear from ST on how to solve this (very common) problem.

mr_goll
Associate

I hereby revive this thread in the hope that ST's resident wizards will get wiggling their collective magic wands - or even better stop wand wiggling, and allocate some talented resource to assist in creating an appropriate remedy.

Having lost many productive hours due to same issues and related bugs/features I think even the simplest project copy case proposed by MM.1 above, fails, and has been known widely to fail for years.

To paraphrase much background reading on the topic - It seems to be due to inherited Eclipse feature deficits first noted in 2007 - (https://wiki.eclipse.org/Workspace4.0#Decouple_Workspace_from_Client.2FUI).

I face a batch of fixing this mess again manually due to workstation updates and changed workspace locations and I just cannot believe the mess; DOH! :loudly_crying_face:

I heard it was ~£10k for Keil license... *genuinely considering selling kidney* :o

This is why I have no fear of Artificial Intelligence - we've had a major rub with what could've been a set of basic substitutions - for so long, and it remains built with a huge wall on top of it. Project Sustainability zero.

Readers; Please prove me a complete *** and post workarounds, fixes and substitutes below. Many Thanks!