cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Experience with Upwork, Fiverr, etc.

magene
Senior II

I just read a post where @pavel suggested using Upwork or Fiverr to get some programming work done.  These sites might be a big help to me if I can get a programming job done by someone else without a lot of overhead on my part. 

I'd appreciated any comments from anyone who has used these (or similar) services.

Here are 2 tasks I'd be interested in getting done via Upwork or Fiverr and I'd also appreciate any comments on whether it might make sense to outsource these. I'm sure more details about the work package will be required but this gives the basic idea.

1. Write a generic I2C driver for the STM32H7A3 MCU.  The driver (or drivers) should use DMA or Interrupts in a non-blocking way or read/write where the transaction blocks until complete. The driver(s) should be able to read a defined number of bytes from a consecutive sequence of addresses, or a defined number of bytes from the same address (one of my devices works this way).  I'll provide a STM32CubeMX project with the I2C ports configured and the startup code generated by CubeMX. Test the driver on these evaluation boards: LTC2156A and Sparkfun NEO-M8U-SMA.  Add the cost of the boards to your fee.

2. I use the VisualGDB IDE.  The VisualGDB solution has the main application project and a Tiny Embedded Test Framework project. Integrate the I2C driver above in the main application and write the following unit tests for the I2C driver. And a description of the tests here.

Alternatively, if there are members of this forum who do this kind of work I'd be happy to hear from you.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Bob S
Principal

At the risk of speaking for @pavel I suspect his "suggestion" was only semi-serious, and meant more as a "don't ask people on this forum to write your own dang software for you".  Personally, I would not seriously consider that option.  I've seen some pretty poor code posted here that was written from tasks posted on those type of job forums.

What you are asking for is pretty simple/basic functionality, and in fact sounds like what HAL and some of the example code gives you out of the box (ignoring "quality of HAL code" arguments).  Should be pretty easy to write it yourself.  But if you want to job-shop that out, have at it.  Just buyer be ware.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Thanks @Bob S. My advise was not semi-serious (and never meant offence) but I'm really interested to know opinions of others before speaking myself. - P

magene
Senior II

@Bob S I agree, that stuff is pretty straight forward and I'm getting better at writing peripheral drivers from scratch. However, it still takes me a long time before I get something written, working, integrated and tested that I consider usable. Unfortunately, I've learned that I can't ignore the "quality of HAL code" issues. What I don't have is time to do all the things I need to do let alone the things I'd like to do.  My goal is to outsource the simple stuff that I can define really well so I can concentrate on the hard stuff that I can't really define until I do most of it and don't think can be outsourced for that reason.

Regardless, I'm hoping to hear from people that have done the outsourcing thing.