Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Code not going directly to main loop

Cooke.Ernest
Associate II
Posted on June 22, 2017 at 11:16

Hi,

I am currently in the process of converting project code I have using the Standard peripheral library to the Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL).

I noticed that when I try to debug the code and place a breakpoint in the main loop that the code does not go directly to the main loop when I press the 'Run' (F5) button in Keil uVision.  The 'Run' button instead must be pressed 4 times before it goes to the main loop.

0690X00000607SQQAY.png

Before the code goes to the main loop, it is caught in the following location in the startup file.

0690X00000607N2QAI.png

After this I can get the code to execute a basic function i.e.

blink an

LED.  

However when I try to execute the code in standalone mode it does not work.

When I tried this code using the

Standard peripheral library, it went directly to the main loop the first time I pressed the 'Run' button in debug mode and it worked fine in standalone mode i.e. I got the LED to blink.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the issue might be or how I could solve it?

Kind Regards,

Ernest

#main-loop #standard-peripheral #stm32f1 #debug #hardware-abstraction #standalone-mode #startup-code
11 REPLIES 11
Posted on July 05, 2017 at 12:32

I looked through the code but I could not find 

rdimon-crt0.o or rdimon in the startup file?

tomtom9195
Associate II
Posted on July 05, 2017 at 17:46

rdimon-crt0 is part of the GCC tool chain but I see you are using Keil which will provide its own startup code.

I think this addresses your problem:

http://www.keil.com/support/docs/3614.htm

By default the tool chain is likely to use semihosting. As explained in the above link you need to either:

Provide retarget.c which redirects the semihosting library calls (from printf etc.), see: 

http://www.keil.com/support/man/docs/gsac/gsac_retargetcortex.htm

or use the Keil Compiler pack

or use Microlib which does not use semihosting.

Now why the toolchain builds in libraries that use semihosting when MDK-ARM/uVision  doesn't support semihhosting beats me..