cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AN3154 not mentioning F3 family - why?

Peta_rj
Associate II

see https://www.st.com/resource/en/application_note/cd00264321-can-protocol-used-in-the-stm32-bootloader-stmicroelectronics.pdf

I'm looking for ways to use CAN bus for firmware upgrades in F1 and F3 family and F3 seems specifically omitted in the application note. Is it just a documentation bug or doesn't the bootloader support CAN?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Fair point; but checking AN2606 it appears that no 'F3 supports CAN bootloader.

JW

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AN3154 may be simply too old and never been updated. The bootloader protocols haven't changed that much, if at all.

For availability of individual peripherals for bootloading in the various subfamilies, check AN2606.

JW

Peta_rj
Associate II

Ok. Thanks. The revision of the document is from December 2019 and F3 has been with us since 2012 - so I am hesitant with the "too old" hypothesis.

Fair point; but checking AN2606 it appears that no 'F3 supports CAN bootloader.

JW

Peta_rj
Associate II

Hm. There goes AN4228 (Migrating from STM32F1 Series to STM32F3 Series microcontrollers)

The F105 and F107 definitely do have CAN bootloaders - so if you need one, that migration path is blocked.

Ok - topic resolved.

One could implement their own loader emulating the protocol. Use a GPIO rather than the BOOT0 pin, and don't erase your loader.

Perhaps there's a simpler migration path to a current device?

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..