cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding 5V tolerance and internal pull up/down resistors

Diez.R.
Associate II

Hi all:

I have problems understanding the pull up/down situation with regards to 5V tolerance.

I must admit that I have limited hardware knowledge, so please be gentle. I have searched and read a lot, but couldn't find a definitive answer yet.

Say that I have one board with an STM32F407VGT6 running at 3,3 V. This board has one UART Rx (input) on one pin, which is 5V tolerant according to the datasheet.

Say that I can connect this board to 1 of 2 other boards, each with one UART Tx (output). One of the boards runs at 3.3 V, the other at 5 V.

I want to tell the customer that he/she can connect either board. That should be fine because the STM32 is 5V tolerant.

Let's ignore for this exercise of understanding the start-up problem, where the 5V may come before the 3.3V is there, overstepping the VDD + 4V limit in the datasheet.

Normally, a UART Rx pin should be pulled up. But I cannot use the internal pull-up, right? It is not really clear from the STM documentation, but the following external source says that the input voltage is pulled down to around 4V because of the internal pull-up, and that is risky because some internal diode 'clamps' then:

https://github.com/ARMmbed/mbed-os/issues/5102

For my understanding: Is the internal pull-down affected too? According to this source, yes:

http://forums.netduino.com/index.php?/topic/10401-guidance-using-5v-signals-with-pull-upspull-downs/

But AN4899 only warns about the internal pull-up, and not the internal pull-down. If I could enable the pull-down, I could at least prevent the input from floating if no board is connected

Say that I always need a pull-up, and a pull-down won't do it.

What can I do? Should I fit an external pull-up resistor? But that is not enough, is it? I should then learn and implement a proper lever-shifting logic which would also work with the optional 3.3V input.

That means I would have to worry about the 5 V tolerance myself, in which case, I can actually forget about the supposedly 5V tolerance of the STM32, right?

If that is the case, could someone point me to an example of such a clever, external 5V-tolerant input circuit? Or at least give me some hints I can pass on to a real hardware guy. 8-)

Thanks in advance,

rdiez

1 REPLY 1
Uwe Bonnes
Principal III

An external weak pull to VDDIO on the F40x board should do the job. But that does not protect the case when the 5V RX source is plugged to the unpowered F407. If you put a unpowered 5 Volt-tolerant gate in between, e.g. 74lvc1g125, that would be save in that case of a powered source pluf to an unpowered receiver.