cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to follow the step-by-step introductory tutorial. Not getting very far:

APara.6
Associate

I'm trying to start programming a Nucleo-F767ZI board by following this, which I think is the official guide. Here's what's stopping me:

1. It says "Ensure also that the ST-Link driver is well installed." Setting aside what it means for something to be "well" installed, it seems like ST-link drivers for Linux don't exist?
  2. When I follow the directions, select main.c, and click debug, I get the error pictured below:

0693W00000NseSoQAJ.png 

If I instead try to debug using default code generated from CubeMX, I get this error:

0693W00000NseVEQAZ.png 

Any direction would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

>Setting aside what it means for something to be "well" installed, it seems like ST-link drivers for Linux don't exist?

This means: on Windows, plug the board USB cable in and check that the ST-LINK is visible in Device Manager without any problem stickers on it.

For Linux no driver is needed, correct.

> When I follow the directions, select main.c, and click debug, I get the error pictured below

Before debugging, try to build (compile, link) the program. C files run better when compiled ))

Note that your project name is not "GPIO_InfiniteLedToggling". Where this name could come from?

I thought that might be it. I think that this is one of those things where the curse of knowledge is really a killer. For instance, looking for compilation instructions online, I found one tutorial that just ended with "Compile the project within the IDE / Download it to the board / Run the program."

I did manage to get it working via Project > Build All. I still feel like my understanding of this all is pretty weak. What is a project? Why is it that sometimes it lets me build, and sometimes it doesn't? I made a project with the 'generate code' functionality of CubeMX, and it wouldn't build in CubeIDE. Then in CubeIDE I did File > New Project From Existing .ioc File, using the .ioc file provided by CubeMX, and the resulting project DID let me build it.

Clearly I need a different, more basic (or maybe just more up-to-date) tutorial. I'd welcome any suggestions.

Thanks. Interesting note about the project name; I'll remember that as a possible cause of trouble.