cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F429IGT6's RTC Hardware Design

PWang.5
Associate II

Hi Sir,

We want to use STM32F429IGT6's internal RTC, so we connect pin 6 to backup battery, and add a 32.768K crystal to pin8 pin9, Are there any additional details I missed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The RTC works in the backup domain, so it makes sense to connect a backup battery to pin VBAT, i.e. pin 6 on your LQFP176. But the LSE pins for the 32 kHz crystal are not pins 8/9, but pins 9/10.

You should also read AN2867, which contains a lot of very helpful information on choosing the right crystal (section 4), load capacitors and creating the layout (section 7.2). In the latter, it is particularly advisable to fully understand Fig. 11 (PCB with separated GND plane and guard ring around the oscillator).

Good luck!

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

The RTC works in the backup domain, so it makes sense to connect a backup battery to pin VBAT, i.e. pin 6 on your LQFP176. But the LSE pins for the 32 kHz crystal are not pins 8/9, but pins 9/10.

You should also read AN2867, which contains a lot of very helpful information on choosing the right crystal (section 4), load capacitors and creating the layout (section 7.2). In the latter, it is particularly advisable to fully understand Fig. 11 (PCB with separated GND plane and guard ring around the oscillator).

Good luck!

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
PWang.5
Associate II

Hi Peter,

Thanks so much, I correct my question, the LSE pins are pin 9/10, I will read AN2867, and thanks again.