cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F407 Discovery 1 board - CAN support

BAW
Associate III

Hello,

I am new to STM parts. We are using STM32F407 Discovery 1 evaluation boards. I was wanting to configure the two boards to communicate over CAN with one another.

In STMCubeMx, I select the STM32F407 Discovery 1 board and see the following that CAN available is 0.

From this I take it that the STM32F407 Discovery 1 evaluation boards do not support CAN examples even though the 405/407 have two CAN modules?

Untitled.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

Indeed, your search is done on the board and not on the device. The board does not feature a CAN transceiver so it can't support CAN by default. If you do the search on the Eval board, you can find the CAN peripheral because the Eval board (STM3240G-EVAL) has the CAN transceivers on it.

In your case start your project with the device not on the board and add an external transceiver like SN65HVD230 already used on our boards.

Advice: use HSE not HSI for your CAN application.

Good luck

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
STTwo-32
ST Employee

Hello @BAW 

The STM32F407G-DISC1 can use both CAN interfaces available on the STM32F407VGT6 MCU (refer to the DS8626 for more details). But you still have to add an external transceiver CAN to be able to have communication between the 2 Boards.  You can do this configuration using CubeMX: 

STTwo32_0-1706715546130.png

Best Regards.

STTwo-32

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

SofLit
ST Employee

Hello,

Indeed, your search is done on the board and not on the device. The board does not feature a CAN transceiver so it can't support CAN by default. If you do the search on the Eval board, you can find the CAN peripheral because the Eval board (STM3240G-EVAL) has the CAN transceivers on it.

In your case start your project with the device not on the board and add an external transceiver like SN65HVD230 already used on our boards.

Advice: use HSE not HSI for your CAN application.

Good luck

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on "Accept as Solution" on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.