cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-link v3 mods vs mini connector

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

The new mods variant comes without a connector. Do the 14 strips on it’s down side correspond to the CN5 STDC14 connector of st-link mini? Cannot find this in the UM2502.

Would like to solder wires to these strips rather than to castellated edge.

And what are the 4 strips on the upper side?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
S.Ma
Principal

STLinkV3-mini0693W00000YA18lQAD.jpgOn the MODS, if the spec doesn't give details on the back side of the Module, then it means the board is only intented to correct through the castellated vias.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
S.Ma
Principal

MODS has a microUSB connector and is a module, so it can be soldered onto a PCB to add debug/programming function

STLinkV3mini is a debug probe with STDC14 connector with ribbon to plug onto a target board, not intended to be directly soldered on a target board.

The STLinkV3mini is going to be replaced by STLink V3 miniE which includes a level shifter to enable debug in 1.8 up to 3.3V. The connector on the edge of the PCB is 2x5 contact at 2mm pitch to direct connect by Kyocera board to board AVX10, or by soldering either a 2mm dual row pin header or a DF11- type connector to enable cheap cable with easy to swap pin numbers.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Thank you Captain. So, the 14 strips on the MODS, two rows * 7, are there pin compatible with the 14 pin connector of minie? Or they are not intended for use at all?

S.Ma
Principal

STLinkV3-mini0693W00000YA18lQAD.jpgOn the MODS, if the spec doesn't give details on the back side of the Module, then it means the board is only intented to correct through the castellated vias.

Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Finally... I've returned the MODS and exchanged them to MINIE.

The latter is perfect for me. It has both 14-pin header and BTB connector with strips that are easy to solder. And no castellation on sides that I don't need at all.

Must mention: the minie requires connection of its VCC pin. Lost several hours because of that.

0693W00000YATmtQAH.jpg 

OMG PAVEL!!!! 

I've been looking for info on how to use this **bleep** thing! spent ten hours trying stuff... 

I want to flash the STM32F051K6 on a drone motor controller, but it's way easier to plug in the battery and use the onboard regulator of the motor controller than attach VCC to the MCU. Do you know if i can short VCC to ground instead ? any other way to bypass that ? 

PS: The CN5 pads are also on the miniE under the sticker, maybe used for flashing the ARM chip.