cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST-LINK forced update

sute
Associate III

Hello,

We have CI/CD pipeline running in a build server with an ST-LINK attached to program an STM32 MCU. Suddenly the pipeline stopped working because of:

ST-LINK firmware upgrade required. Please upgrade the ST-LINK firmware using the upgrade tool.

The whole pipeline is automatically ran with command line tools. I would like to know how is it possible that it suddenly stopped working and how can it know that the ST-LINK firmware is outdated? This is disturbing since we are trying to keep the whole test setup as static as possible and only do controlled updates.

3 REPLIES 3

You don't mention a tool chain.

IAR/Keil might hold ST-LINK related DLLs which update, and then have expectations.

If you introduce a new board/ST-LINK, it may also be behind the version expectations of the drivers/dlls

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..

We are using STM32CubeProgrammer CLI and the ST Link GDB server in Linux inside a Docker container so the environment has always been identical and nothing has changed. I am really baffled how this situation happened.

The only thing I can think of would be time-bombs, but I can't say I've encountered any date related triggers myself, or from forum reports.

Perhaps the ST-LINK was caught in some odd state, and the version got misreported, or defaulted to some other number.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..