cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wanted to order an cortex M7 mcu,I currently using an stm32f1 series with stlink v2 clone.My problem is that im not sure which debugger/programmer should i order for cortex M7 series? .Also whats the difference between STLINK-V3MINI and STLINK-V3MOD

Oahme.1
Associate III

I read the manual and its says " The STLINK-V3MINI embeds an STM32 32-bit microcontroller based on the Arm®(a)Cortex®-M processor " same fore the VMOD but i wanted to reassure that im getting the right debugger/programmer?

7 REPLIES 7

The ST-LINK/V2 works fine with F7 cores

The difference between the V3MINI and V3MOD is basically connectors. If you plan on soldering down the ST-LINK/V3 to your own board, used the V3MOD

The V3SET comes with multiple cable options, the V3MINI comes with just one.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Nikita91
Lead II

The v3 is the most recent STLINK.

The STLINK-V3MOD is a little board to solder on your printed circuit.

The STLINK-V3MINI is the same little board with a connector: BEWARE 1.27mm / 0.05" (It's not practical, bad idea to have used this ...)

You can use a STLINK-V3MOD to make a probe with a standard connector or a better suited one.

You can also use a NUCLEO board with a STLINK-V2.1, which can be configured to program / debug an external board (avoid NUCLEO boards with STLINK-V3 for this use)

TDK
Guru

I use the STLINK-V3MINI and quite like it. Never had a problem with 0.05" pitch connectors, but I also used those with the ST-Link V2 as well. Depends how rough you are with boards, I guess.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Piranha
Chief II

Cortex Debug 10-pin 1,27mm is actually quite a nice connector, if you put it also on your designed boards for development purpose.

Oahme.1
Associate III

Thankyou everyone for the kind replies,I'll narrow things down,these are the connections for the STDC14 for STLINK-V3MINI,I wanted to ask which pins are actually going to be used for programming/debugging the stm32h7 chip ,for example in stm32f1 i could use the pins from 4 to 7 to program it ,Is it the same for stm32h7,Im sorry if this is not a reasonable question but im just trying to keep it simple,I could have bought the V3SET but Im also on a budget ,plus I also found out that you could debug/program external stm32 with the dev board .0693W000003PE1UQAW.png

TDK
Guru

For debugging with SWD, you absolutely need the SWDIO, SWCLK and GND pins. Optional but recommended would be NRST, SWO, and VCC.

The VCP_RX/TX are useful if you want to use a UART stream for debugging.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution".
Oahme.1
Associate III

Okay ,Thanks My problem is solved