cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am designing a high-performance line-following robot, and I would like to know if my schematic is correct?

DPonz.1
Associate

I am designing a line-following robot that also avoids various obstacles (two digital infrared (IR) sensors), but I am a bit confused with my schematic since I am a beginner in electronics, and that is why I would like to know if my schematic is correct and if it is going to work. The robot's board utilizes two TB6612FNG BY TOSHIBA dual motor drivers modified in order to control one motor instead of two hence my robot has two individual motors. Furthermore, it uses the STM32F103C8T6 MCU. You can see details of the schematic in the image and the PDF file as well. Constructive criticism is accepted! Any answer is greatly appreciated!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Nikita91
Lead II

I didn't review all the schematics. Only some remarks:

• Give a name (R1, R2..., C1, C2...) and a value to your components instead of the value twice. It is difficult to comment on the diagram if you cannot name the components.
  • F103 have an internal pullup on RST pin. An external RSTN pullup is useless
  • The pullup on USB D+ have a wrong value: need 1.5K Ohms.
  • Be very careful with the routing of D+/D- and USB+/USB-. There are very sensible signals. Avoid long stubs. Plan to disconnect the MCU side when you use the FT232, otherwise the USB+ pullup (what is its name?) will be duplicated with that inside the FT232.
  • The capacitor on the crystal clocks are way too high. They are usually in the range of 8-12pF. Check the datasheet of the crystals you are using.
  • VCC3V3 have 2 sources: the RT9193-33 and the FT232. You use the self powered configuration, so disconnect the 3V3OUT pin from the VCC3V3 net (keep the 100nF).
  • The 5V have 2 sources: 5VREGULATOR and the USB_V+. Disconnect the USB_V+ from the 5V net.
  • The FT232 RESET pin need a 4k7/10k resistor network to UDB_V+
  • What is the purpose of VCC (Its value cannot be determined in the schema)? Why not using VCC3V3 for the motors drivers?
  • Use the components reference instead of esoteric names (VCCREGULATOR, SECONDCLOCK...)

My 2 cents...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Nikita91
Lead II

I didn't review all the schematics. Only some remarks:

• Give a name (R1, R2..., C1, C2...) and a value to your components instead of the value twice. It is difficult to comment on the diagram if you cannot name the components.
  • F103 have an internal pullup on RST pin. An external RSTN pullup is useless
  • The pullup on USB D+ have a wrong value: need 1.5K Ohms.
  • Be very careful with the routing of D+/D- and USB+/USB-. There are very sensible signals. Avoid long stubs. Plan to disconnect the MCU side when you use the FT232, otherwise the USB+ pullup (what is its name?) will be duplicated with that inside the FT232.
  • The capacitor on the crystal clocks are way too high. They are usually in the range of 8-12pF. Check the datasheet of the crystals you are using.
  • VCC3V3 have 2 sources: the RT9193-33 and the FT232. You use the self powered configuration, so disconnect the 3V3OUT pin from the VCC3V3 net (keep the 100nF).
  • The 5V have 2 sources: 5VREGULATOR and the USB_V+. Disconnect the USB_V+ from the 5V net.
  • The FT232 RESET pin need a 4k7/10k resistor network to UDB_V+
  • What is the purpose of VCC (Its value cannot be determined in the schema)? Why not using VCC3V3 for the motors drivers?
  • Use the components reference instead of esoteric names (VCCREGULATOR, SECONDCLOCK...)

My 2 cents...

MM..1
Chief II

And maybe FT232 isnt required. What is purpose?