cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake Stlinks reaching me trough "legit" distributors. Which STCubeProgrammer version shall we use?

Javier1
Principal

My company just purchased 10x new STLINKS in WINSOURCE.

We are having trouble using them with newer versions of STCubeProgrammer(v.2.10.0)

,they work fine with the old STlinkUtility.

0693W00000WLQ5HQAX.pngI am also unable to upgrade the Fake STlink:

0693W00000WLQ5WQAX.png 

The BOX seems legit:

0693W00000WLQ02QAH.png0693W00000WLQ07QAH.png 

The plastic molding looks alright also, the back sticker is upside down.

0693W00000WLQ1yQAH.png0693W00000WLQ28QAH.png 

Once i open the new stlink, i notice the mcu markings are erased.

0693W00000WLQ4xQAH.png0693W00000WLQ52QAH.png

we dont need to firmware by ourselves, lets talk
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Everything you have analysed points to a counterfeit. The "ST" logo on the front is also stretched vertically. But at the latest in view of the abraded marking, it should be clear that this is a fake.

The only thing to do is to send the parts back to the seller and demand a genuine replacement or the money.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Pavel A.
Evangelist III

Hmm... Maybe, try this on it?

thanks @Pavel A.​ , lets try this.

I am not sure it will fix my issues, people in production use a lot the "automatic mode" from stmcubeprogrammer, this mode works slow/hangsup with the fake stlinks.

0693W00000WLQHSQA5.png 

Edit:

I dont think im going to even try it, taking a look at the limitations:

0693W00000WLQJnQAP.png

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Everything you have analysed points to a counterfeit. The "ST" logo on the front is also stretched vertically. But at the latest in view of the abraded marking, it should be clear that this is a fake.

The only thing to do is to send the parts back to the seller and demand a genuine replacement or the money.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Piranha
Chief II

> the back sticker is upside down

If the hieroglyphs on it is not a big enough sign of being fake, then I don't know that is. And also a Chinese company cannot be a legit distributor...

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Update: meanwhile there is a knowledge base article on the topic: How to recognize a genuine ST-Link/V2 versus a cloned one?, created by Amel NASRI.

Regards

/Peter

As STLink/2 are out of production, and ST stubbornly refuses to sell preprogrammed 'F103 for users to make their own, legit ones; maybe the last viable way to acquire them is to buy the lower-end Nucleos.

Meantime, we may try to scream here, but I'm almost sure ST does not care.

JW

Thats exactly what im doing, i buy the cheap nucleo64's and box them for the production team.

Thanks @Peter BENSCH​ , i do know how to recognise them, ill pass your link to my team.

> As STLink/2 are out of production, 

No, ST-LINK/2 are in full production, not discontinued and not on NRND - so all is well. Availability may of course be a different and to be solved problem.

> Meantime, we may try to scream here, but I'm almost sure ST does not care.

Also incorrect, ST does follow community communication, but it is primarily an E2E forum.

Regards

/Peter