cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can set option bytes in STM32 ST-LINK Utility but not STM32CubeProgrammer, Why?

JMill.18
Associate II

Hello,

I have a new STEVAL-IDP004V2, and I recently downloaded both the ST-LINK Utility and the STM32CubeProgrammer.  I'm going through AN5041 Rev 5, page 22 steps which mention the board is to be programmed with the ST-LINK Utility. 

I started trying STM32CubeProgrammer as ST-LINK Utility is not recommended for new designs, but I kept getting read errors after the system was trying to program option bytes: "Error: Data read failed".  The option bytes were set correctly, to AA=level 0.

I decided to try the ST-LINK Utility, set the option bytes to level 0, and no problem, no programming errors.

I then try to program with STM32CubeProgrammer, and after using ST-LINK, no problem, no programming errors.

What's the difference?  Does STM32CubeProgrammer have a bug?  Is it unable to set the option bytes?

My versions are:

STM32CubeProgrammer Win64 v2.17.0

STM32 ST-Link Utility v4.6.0

O/S: Windows 10 Pro

Programmer: ST-LINK/V2

Board: STEVAL-IDP004V2A,  Trace code: XD109912, Bulk ID: Z1X099120047

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JMill.18
Associate II

I think I just solved my own problem.

I thought the option bytes was something I set in the option bytes window of STM32CubeProgrammer, then download the program, but it seems I needed to click the "Apply" button in the option bytes window!

No worries!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
JMill.18
Associate II

I think I just solved my own problem.

I thought the option bytes was something I set in the option bytes window of STM32CubeProgrammer, then download the program, but it seems I needed to click the "Apply" button in the option bytes window!

No worries!