cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can not read memory! Disable Read Out Protection and retry

Rajesh Tripathi
Associate III
Posted on April 16, 2017 at 04:55

Hello, I have problem with a custom stm32f437 based board. It was working for few days then suddenly stopped working and can't program it anymore From keil/St-Link setup.

Installed the ST-Link utility (V4.0) and updated firmware on ST-Link. When I try to connect it says

'Can not read memory!

Disable Read Out Protection and retry.'

Not sure how it got into 'Read Out Protection Level 1'  as I had never even used ST-Link Utility.

When I try to switch to ROP level 0 and deselect all sector and apply, it complains

'Could not set Option bytes!

Please reset the target and retry.'

Already reset/retry many time with no improvement!

The board is unusable now. Please help.

#stm32-stlink #stm32f4-read-out-protection #stm32f437
29 REPLIES 29
Posted on June 08, 2017 at 06:33

The Jlink STM32 unlock utility didn't work. It can connect to STM32 but can't unlock read protection level 1.

ST-Ling can connect, read register bytes but can't switch to level 0.

I don't think GPIO only code can accidentally cause this. And even if it did, it should be recoverable.

Tried to contact ST but no response!

Posted on June 08, 2017 at 06:36

No one knows the root cause. No help from ST. Clive one has been kind enough to give some ideas but that didn't help.

I suspect there may be some silicon bug with STM32F4 series chip. I was wondering why Segger has STM32 specfic unlock utility?! Is this very common problem with STM32?

Posted on June 08, 2017 at 06:44

Looks like the problem may be related to power supply.

http://www.onarm.com/forum/20658/

Posted on June 08, 2017 at 20:13

We have seen the chip going into Read only protection when not being programmed by uVision. So there are other unknown power supply related situations when the chip can go into this mode.

Posted on June 08, 2017 at 21:03

Which revision of the chip are you using and what is the date code on it?  Ours are Revision 2 with a date code of 634 on two boards and a date code of 635 on the third board.

Posted on June 08, 2017 at 21:15

>>I suspect there may be some silicon bug with STM32F4 series chip.

These chips are well validated, significantly better than most custom designs. Unless you can demonstrate the same failure on a DISCO/NUCLEO board assume the failure is in your design, not theirs.

>>

No help from ST

This is primarily a *user* forum, if you want support from ST you should go through your account manager, or FAE.

>>I was wondering why Segger has STM32 specific unlock utility?! Is this very common problem with STM32?

Because there are valid reasons to lock the parts, most commercial uses lock down the chips to prevent IP theft or make it more difficult. It is often a programming step, especially in production. These same people frequently don't have the skills, or provision within their own code, to unlock the parts themselves.

We don't seem to be awash with the issue here, we get people occasionally who lock their devices on purpose but without the knowledge to recover them. ie stuck their fingers in a chinese trap before understanding how to get out.

>>

So there are other unknown power supply related situations when the chip can go into this mode.

FLASH use a charge-pump circuit to generate programming voltages and needs a power supply that meets specification to function correctly. Timing is also critical.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on June 08, 2017 at 21:42

'FLASH use a charge-pump circuit to generate programming voltages and needs a power supply that meets specification to function correctly. Timing is also critical.'

If the chip is being programmed and power supply fails or goes out of range, malfunction is understandable. I've seen it happening when it was not being programmed.

If power supply is out of range, can that cause the chip to go into Read Protection Mode 1 ?!  The data sheet says it has built in power supply supervisor with Power up and power down resets etc.

What you mean by timing is critical?  What type of timing violation can  cause this?

Posted on June 09, 2017 at 01:27

When you erase/program flash cell you are adding charge or depleting it, the mechanism takes voltage and time, the process here is self-timed, if this doesn't occur properly the state of the cell can be indeterminate, rather than clearly one state or the other over operating voltage/temperature. Think of opening a tap for a specified period, and the water pressure is too low.

If there are issues with the JTAG/SWD connectivity this could cause PC based software to misread the memory or options.

Bulk capacitance on the VDD side, and regulator?

Have an FAE go over your design and component values as placed.

Denise Andreozzi
Associate II
Posted on July 03, 2017 at 14:46

My company has received the Failure Analysis Report from STMicro.  We sent them two disabled units.  Based on their findings, both units have their VCAP1 and VCAP2 lines internally short circuited to VSS (ground).  They were unable to determine the root cause, and they do not have any other reports of this problem.  My team is now reviewing the results and looking into a failure of the internal voltage regulator.  I will keep this thread going as we progress.

Posted on July 03, 2017 at 18:08

So probably wouldn't be able to measure 1.25V on the VCAP pins in-circuit.

Would look at components as placed. Board shorts, and device orientation.