cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

the possible maximum reading distance with ST25R3916

DSai.1
Associate III

We are developing a IC card skipass Reader product for ski resort market. 

I checked TRF7961 from TI, but it can provide only 200mW output power.

In the datasheet of ST25R3916, this IC can give up to 1.7W output power.

I wonder these two are same index or not. I would like to know the maximum reading distance with ST25R3916. Could you give me some information or advice?

If possible, we want a distance about 30cm. With TRF7961, about 15cm can be obtained.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The RX sensitivity can be adjusted within limits via register 3 and 4 (see datasheet, section 4.5.16 and 4.5.17).

If you fixate only on the maximum output power, you will inevitably reach the limit at which tags can be destroyed if the distance is too small.

Essentially, several things affect the maximum tag reading distance: Auto Antenna Tuning (AAT), Dynamic Power Output (DPO) and antenna size. The first two points are already covered by the ST25R3916, so that only the antenna size remains as a factor that can be influenced for the reading distance.

However, I do not assume that the reading distance will be much greater than approx. 20...22cm even with huge Class 1 antennas.

Good luck!

If the problem is resolved, please mark this topic as answered by selecting Select as best. This will help other users find that answer faster.

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome,@DSai.1​, to the community!

With the ST25R3916 you should be able to reach the reading distance - but be careful: the reading distance depends not only on the output power, but especially on the antenna geometry.

It is also important to observe the maximum power values defined by the NFC forum, because otherwise you will pump too much energy into the tag if its too close. For this reason, reader devices such as the ST25R3916 contain a function called DPO (Dynamic Power Output).

Does it answer your question?

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
DSai.1
Associate III

Dear Peter,

thank you so much for your quick answer.

It is an exciting information for our project.

Because we don’t need a design with extra

amplifier, it will reduce a lot of time for development. In our application, we will use ISO15693 card tag. Do you have any hardware and software sample for our reference?

best regard

Sai

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi @DSai.1​ 

as far as I know, most of the skipass reading systems are based on NFC-V - ISO/IEC 15693 standard as this technology provides greater reading distances as compared to ISO/IEC 14443 (NFC-A/NFC-B) or NFC-F. Can you confirm that your plan is also to base your system on ISO/IEC 15693?

Regarding the reading distance, there was similar questions on the community in various ST25R readers. The following ones may help:

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000AvgiHoSQI/st25r3911b-with-antenna-size-30x40cm

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X00009XkWCSSA3/design-questions-around-st25r3911b

https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X0000Bh5zQqSQI/how-to-use-st25r3911b-for-long-reading-distance40cm

Rgds

BT

Hi Sai,

on HW side, you can use either:

1. the X-NUCLEO-NFC06A1 NFC card reader expansion board on top of Nucleo-64 MCU board such as NUCLEO-L476RG, or
  2. the Discovery kit for the ST25R3916

Solution #1 is intended for a standalone system whereas solution #2 is designed to work with a PC GUI over USB. Both solutions come with an antenna that can be easily cut and replaced by your custom antenna. Of course, when using your own custom antenna, the matching circuit will have to modified accordingly: you can use the Antenna Matching Tool for ST25R NFC/HF reader family or the online eDesign suite to design your matching circuit.

On SW side:

1. the Discovery kit for the ST25R3916 comes with the STSW-ST25R011 package containing all source files to compile the firmware

Both software solutions are based on the same RF Abstraction Layer (RFAL) and support NFC-V - ISO/IEC 15693 communication.

The PC GUI that communicates with the Discovery kit for the ST25R3916 provides an easy way for changing analog settings. Therefore, this might be your preferred solution during the antenna setup and test phase.

Rgds

BT

Dear Brian,

Thank you very much for your detailed advice and information.

We will do based on your advice.

best regards

Sai

Dear Brian,

Thank you very much for your great help.

We use ISO15693 for a longer reading distance in our application.

I will study the links you mentioned.

By the way, could you recommend me any dealer for obtaining the board or kits in Japan?

Best regards

Sai

You will get a quote from your preferred distributor in your region, which you can find here and where you can filter for By Contact Type = Distributors and By country/region = Japan.

Good luck!

Regards

/Peter

Hi Sai,

in addition to Peter answer, just click on "Sample and Buy" tab when browsing the webpage related to a given product on st.com. This tab displays the product availability at various Distributors:

0693W00000KaYjRQAV.jpgThe ST25R3916-DISCO seems to be temporarily out of stock at Distributors, so in the meanwhile, you can use the X-NUCLEO-NFC06A1 board (+ NUCLEO-64 MCU board)

rgds

BT

Dear Peter, Brain

Thank you very much for

the information about obtaining SDK board. According to your advice, I will try next week.

happy weekend.

Sai