cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ST25R3916 Waveform Reading Issue

MaoFeng
Associate II

Hi, I want to ask about is it possible to probe MISO output of ST25R3916 to read the data or UID for ST25R3916 Discovery Board?
Because I currently want to observe whether can differentiate the different tags by looking at the waveform.
I had tried to probe the MISO and SCLK (Serial CLK) with Saleae logic analyzer (Logic 16), but the waveforms didn't meet my expectation.
And I had discovered after the reader detected the tag, the waveform will change but only happened at the start phase, rest of the waveform phases went back to normal.

Please take a look on the attached photo, thank you so much for helping!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi MaoFeng,

the data is decoded only in host software on STM32.
Updating the firmware should be possible - via the Help menu you can trigger update of the firmware for this boards.

If this does not work you can also use STM32CubeProgrammer to update using the firmware binary contained in the GUI installation.

BR, Ulysses

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Ulysses HERNIOSUS
ST Employee

Hi MaoFeng,

ISO15693/NFC-V is not natively supported by ST25R39 chips. The host software needs to do the bit level coding/decoding. This is why you will not find the UID directly as bytes on MISO.

Please see for reference e.g. the discussion here: st25r39-problems-with-reading-iso15693

BR, Ulysses

Good morning Ulysses, thank you for taking your time to answer the question.

I still have some doubts to clear,

1. I have been using this software application "ST25R3916 Discovery GUI" to connect with ST25R3916-DISCO kit, and it's able to read ISO15693 tag UID and write NDEF message (in hex) into the tag. (photo attached: ISO15693 read&write.png)

May I assume that I can't get any data by using oscilloscope or logic analyzer, such as UID or NDEF message, because they're encrypted data?
I was curious about how to write own/customized data into the tag, because the photo attached which the NDEF message (in hex) is already written inside the tag and it will display as a link when I placed on ST25R3916-DISCO kit or when I tap the tag with my phone.

2. Is there any possible ways if I probed the pins of STM32L476VGT6 using oscilloscope or logic analyzer to read the data of the tag

OR

the data is decoded in the host software so the UID and NDEF message is only readable through the software application?

When I connect my ST25R3916-DISCO kit to my PC, it will show a message "not compatible" and I tried to install “STM32 BOOTLOADER" but it's not found. (photo attached: firmware version not compatible.png)
Nevertheless, this problem doesn't affect me from reading the UID and NDEF message of the tag.

Thank you in advance for your helping! 

Hi MaoFeng,

the data is decoded only in host software on STM32.
Updating the firmware should be possible - via the Help menu you can trigger update of the firmware for this boards.

If this does not work you can also use STM32CubeProgrammer to update using the firmware binary contained in the GUI installation.

BR, Ulysses