cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to increase RFID wireless system based on M24LR04E read range?

Farzaneh
Associate

Hi there,

My PhD project focuses on RFID-based wireless capacitive sensors.

The Tag is M24LR04E, and I'm using a reader from the M24LR-Discovery kit with a CR95HF transceiver board and a 2 turn 424nH antenna.

Current read range is 45 millimetres. My application requires a read range of around 100 mm. How can I expand the read range?

In the [1] RFID interface of the tag is accomplished by connecting the EEPROM to a double-layer PCB antenna coil with 12 trace convolutions, resulting in a square with exterior dimensions of 15.7 mm and a measured self-inductance of 4.6H (4.7H theoretical). The RFID reader was an STMicroelectronics (DEVKIT-M24LR-A) device. With this configuration they achieved reader-tag communication distance is 11cm�? . 

I am composing a strategy that I propose to use with them to increase the read range.

1. Increase the size of the reader antenna by employing a one-turn antenna

2. Changing the tuning capacitance of the reader such that a larger inductor can be used to get a larger antenna size.

3. Using your DEVKIT-M24LR-A antenna, which is already has  larger Antenna

4. Using a double-layer PCB antenna coil, which I am not sure has effect on read range.

I would really appreciate it if you could advise me as to which has the greater impact on read-range or Is there any other solution to increase the read range?

Regards

Farzaneh Beigi

[1]: M. Caldara, B. Nodari, V. Re, and B. Bonandrini, "Miniaturized and low-power blood pressure telemetry system with RFID interface," Procedia Engineering, vol. 87, pp. 344-347, 2014.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

https://www.st.com/en/nfc/st25r3911b.htmlHi,

for similar questions, see:

Achieving a 100mm read range would be less challenging with readers having an higher RF output power than ST25R95/CR95HF such as ST25R3911B or ST25R3916 (see Discovery kit for the ST25R3911B or Discovery kit for the ST25R3916).

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

https://www.st.com/en/nfc/st25r3911b.htmlHi,

for similar questions, see:

Achieving a 100mm read range would be less challenging with readers having an higher RF output power than ST25R95/CR95HF such as ST25R3911B or ST25R3916 (see Discovery kit for the ST25R3911B or Discovery kit for the ST25R3916).

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
Farzaneh
Associate

Hi there,

Thank you for your prompt and informative response. Using a few new antennas and ST25R3911B readers, I was able to achieve a read range of 10 centimetres with a few of them. However, this reading range is for data transfer, and the power transfer read range in M2404lr was only 3 centimetres when energy harvesting was used. What does it seem to you? Am I doing something wrong, or is it possible to expand the power transfer read range?

Thanks again for your support

Best regards

Farzaneh