cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fast transfer mode vs NDEF&EEPROM

DSant.2
Associate II

Hello,

I'm developing a project where we will be using a ST253916 for a reader/writer device (base station) and a ST25DV type 5 tag (battery powered device). The idea is to transmit data from battery device to the base station. It will be hundred of bytes or so (data from sensors). per day. Both devices are pretended to be paired all night (8 hours).

It would be better to use Mailbox and store data through Fast Transfer Mode or NDEF messages written to EEPROM memory? Speed is not important in this use case. It should be a bi-directional (half duplex is okay) communication. I am not sure this can be done through standard NFC NDEF messages.

Thank you,

Dani

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JL. Lebon
ST Employee

Hello,

I definitely recommend Fast Transfer Mode.

NDEF is only useful if you want to be standardized and use a smartphone under Android or iOS (meaning you want to use the standard API of those OS and no dedicated application).

Furthermore, to be bidirectional with NDEF, you need to do NFC Fourm TNEP, which is adding unnecessary complexity and overhead in your case.

Finally, NDEF in EEPROM will make your EEPROM cycling, which in time can lead to wearing of the eeprom if too many cycles are done (~1million). You don't have cycling issue with Fast Transfer Mode as it is not done in eeprom memory.

So give yourself a favor and use Fast transfer Mode. It is exactly what you need, it is simpler and faster, and more reliable in time.

Best regards.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
JL. Lebon
ST Employee

Hello,

I definitely recommend Fast Transfer Mode.

NDEF is only useful if you want to be standardized and use a smartphone under Android or iOS (meaning you want to use the standard API of those OS and no dedicated application).

Furthermore, to be bidirectional with NDEF, you need to do NFC Fourm TNEP, which is adding unnecessary complexity and overhead in your case.

Finally, NDEF in EEPROM will make your EEPROM cycling, which in time can lead to wearing of the eeprom if too many cycles are done (~1million). You don't have cycling issue with Fast Transfer Mode as it is not done in eeprom memory.

So give yourself a favor and use Fast transfer Mode. It is exactly what you need, it is simpler and faster, and more reliable in time.

Best regards.

DSant.2
Associate II

Clear and concise. Thank you for the answer Lebon!

Regard,

Dani