cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does ST25DV64KC-DISCO supports Mifare cards OR ST25DV64KC-DISCO support which rf id tags?

NPate.12
Associate II
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi;

As explained in my previous post, ST25DV64KC-DISCO is an NFC Forum Type 5 tag. Mifare classic and Iclass are also tags.

In RFID/NFC, you have basically two types of devices: readers and tags. The reader is an active device that emits an magnetic field at 13.56MHz and that sends commands over this RF field.

The tag is a passive device that does not emit any magnetic field. It receives the magnetic field from the reader, and use this magnetic field to power itself. It also receives the commands from the reader and answer to them by modulating the magnetic field.

The reader is always initiates the dialog, and the tag only answers to a reader's command.

The tag is not emitting any magnetic field, so tow tags cannot communicate with each others.

Therefore, the ST25DV64KC-DISCO cannot communicate with other tags.

If you want to communicate with a tag, you need a reader device such as ST25R3916-DISCO or ST25R3911B-DISCO. Those readers support ISO 14443A, ISO 14443B, ISO15693, NFC Forum T1T, T2T, T3T, T4T and T5T tags. Note that Mifare Classic uses a proprietary authentication, and ciphering known as Crypto-1 which is broken since several years and It is recommended to not use those tags for new application. If your application does not need authentication/ciphering, I would recommend to use ST tags from ST25TN series (T2T tag), ST25TA series (T4AT tag) or from ST25TV series (T5T).

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

"Does ST25DV64KC-DISCO supports Mifare cards OR ST25DV64KC-DISCO support which rf id tags?"

ST25DV64KC-DISCO is an NFC Forum Type 5 tag. Do you mean "Does ST25R3916-DISCO support Mifare cards" ?

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
NPate.12
Associate II

I want to buy this ST25DV64KC-DISCO  board and wanted to check which RF id tags it supported?

like Mifare classic , IClass, etc...

Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi;

As explained in my previous post, ST25DV64KC-DISCO is an NFC Forum Type 5 tag. Mifare classic and Iclass are also tags.

In RFID/NFC, you have basically two types of devices: readers and tags. The reader is an active device that emits an magnetic field at 13.56MHz and that sends commands over this RF field.

The tag is a passive device that does not emit any magnetic field. It receives the magnetic field from the reader, and use this magnetic field to power itself. It also receives the commands from the reader and answer to them by modulating the magnetic field.

The reader is always initiates the dialog, and the tag only answers to a reader's command.

The tag is not emitting any magnetic field, so tow tags cannot communicate with each others.

Therefore, the ST25DV64KC-DISCO cannot communicate with other tags.

If you want to communicate with a tag, you need a reader device such as ST25R3916-DISCO or ST25R3911B-DISCO. Those readers support ISO 14443A, ISO 14443B, ISO15693, NFC Forum T1T, T2T, T3T, T4T and T5T tags. Note that Mifare Classic uses a proprietary authentication, and ciphering known as Crypto-1 which is broken since several years and It is recommended to not use those tags for new application. If your application does not need authentication/ciphering, I would recommend to use ST tags from ST25TN series (T2T tag), ST25TA series (T4AT tag) or from ST25TV series (T5T).

Rgds

BT

NPate.12
Associate II

Thank you Brian TIDAL For giving good response.

Okay, As per I understand ST25DV64KC-DISCO is one type of TAG ,Right?

1) Can you give me the detailed document link, I meant SDK document of ST25DV64KC-DISCO where API request and Response mentioned.

The data sheet and assorted docs on the product page are what's publicly available. If you have needs beyond that I'd suggest you work with the FAE assigned to your account, or the sales staff/reps.

https://www.st.com/en/nfc/st25dv64kc.html#documentation

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

the ST25DV64KC-DISCO kit is based on ST25DV64KC tag. The command set of this tag is described in the ST25DV64KC Data Sheet DS13519. Application Notes and User Manual are available on ST25DV64KC Documentation tab.

Rgds

BT

Thank you so much.

NPate.12
Associate II

Thanks.