cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CR95HF reader with 5V VPS

MAlra.2
Associate

I have designed an RFID reader with CR95HF and 3.3V as VPS and VPS_TX, I am using ISO/IEC 15693 tags and have achieved a read range of 8-10 cm.

I seek to increase the range as much as possible, so I wonder that if making a design where VPS and VPS_TX are 5V would improve the read range significantly assuming that the other factors are designed correctly.

if it would help improving the read range, then what points should I keep in mind? what advices can you give me when designing the matching network and the PCB antenna?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

this might sound counter intuitive but increasing the output power does not improve the reading distance (see explanation in https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X00009XkXQOSA3/st95hf-error-code-8e and other posts related to ST25R95/CR95HF 5V supply in this community).

ST does not provide a reference matching circuit for 5V but supports customer with this configuration. The feedback from customers using 5V configuration is that this does not improve the reading distance and this is in accordance with ST internal testing at 5V.

Therefore, ST recommends to use 3.3V configuration.

If the read range is a key factor for your application, I would recommend to move to ST25R3916B reader.

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Brian TIDAL
ST Employee

Hi,

this might sound counter intuitive but increasing the output power does not improve the reading distance (see explanation in https://community.st.com/s/question/0D50X00009XkXQOSA3/st95hf-error-code-8e and other posts related to ST25R95/CR95HF 5V supply in this community).

ST does not provide a reference matching circuit for 5V but supports customer with this configuration. The feedback from customers using 5V configuration is that this does not improve the reading distance and this is in accordance with ST internal testing at 5V.

Therefore, ST recommends to use 3.3V configuration.

If the read range is a key factor for your application, I would recommend to move to ST25R3916B reader.

Rgds

BT

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.