cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BLE-OOB pairing on iOS using the ST25DV64KC-DISCO

tm7177
Associate

I have already purchased the ST25DV64KC-DISCO board.
I want to perform Bluetooth® Low Energy OOB validation.
The user manual (UM2949) states that "ST BlueNRG module" is required.

Specifically, which product should I purchase and connect?
Please let me know if it is possible to build an environment that can be verified.

<Verification details>

・Android/iOS (iPhone) using Bluetooth® Low Energy Out-Of-Band (OOB)
BLE automatic pairing function

*An Android version of the demo application is available.
It seems that there is no demo app for iOS version.

In particular, is it possible to implement Out-Of-Band (OOB) using an NFC card on the iPhone?
I would like to confirm, are there any cases where this has been verified?

Please advise me

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

hi tm7177,
I'm not an expert in BTLE devices, but in the case of our demo, we don't use the BTLE connection with passcode. 
I agree with you that the CentralManager API provided by iOS SDK does not support the "passcode"  parameter. 
By looking quickly on google, it would seem that a PIN code dialog window would appears after the 'didconnectPeripheral' if a passcode is required. Never tried actually..

Sorry, it doesn 't help you very well....

Br

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
victor laraison
ST Employee

hello tm7177,

Regarding iOS : the ability to pair Bluetooth accessories without using the pairing dialog (Out Of Band Pairing) is not available in iOS. API does not provide any APIs for such kind of operation.
Whether you want to use NFC, or any other means to automatically enter the pairing information, this is not possible at this time with iOS out of system settings.

However, you can connect to BTLE devices programmatically for sending/receiving data , depending on BTLE profile.

In iOS NFC Tap, we provide an example of BTLE with our ST25DV Discovery Board. We use the BTLE device name for making a connection, retrieving the battery level value (simulated) sent by ST25DVDisco with BTLE module.

Hope it helps.

Br,

Thank you for your advice.

I understand that OOB-pairing is not allowed as per iOS spec.
is it right?

>>We use the BTLE device name for making a connection…

I checked the source code of "iOS NFC Tap".
With this method, you can connect without entering a passcode through the dialog during pairing.

------------------------------
// Trying connection to device
if peripheral.name == ndefBTLEName.localized || peripheral.name == "bluenrg" {
if peripheral.state != .connected {
selectedPeripheral = peripheral
peripheral.delegate = self
centralManager?.connect(peripheral, options: nil)
}
}
------------------------------

hi tm7177,
I'm not an expert in BTLE devices, but in the case of our demo, we don't use the BTLE connection with passcode. 
I agree with you that the CentralManager API provided by iOS SDK does not support the "passcode"  parameter. 
By looking quickly on google, it would seem that a PIN code dialog window would appears after the 'didconnectPeripheral' if a passcode is required. Never tried actually..

Sorry, it doesn 't help you very well....

Br