cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIPER26LD 310VDC to 15VDC Converter Design Issue

AAdin.1
Associate II

Hi, 

I have used following STM reference design for the buck converter. When I power the circuit output doesn't stabilize. What am I missing?

This is from. STEVAL-IHM023V3

Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 16.18.33.png

Here is my design.

Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 16.19.08.png

Here is the layout

Screenshot 2024-07-10 at 16.20.17.png

Best Regards.

5 REPLIES 5
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

When I power the circuit output doesn't stabilize.

What does it mean?

What is your load?

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Output rises and collapses. There is no active load at startup state, when I supply 15V with my bench power supply output circuit draws 0.025Amps.

Best regards.

The buck regulator must have a sufficient load, 50...100mA should always flow as a minimum.

Where have you connected the 15V - at the input of this regulator, which requires an AC of at least 80V at the input, which corresponds to about 110V peak voltage?

What is the saturation current of your inductor L2 and what the expected output current?

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

The regulator will supply current to motor controller IC and two relays (edit: there is 3V3 LDO for MCU), there is no steady current at the startup. The supply voltage of the Viper is 310VDC. 

When I mentioned 15V from bench supply I checked the output of the Viper whether there is a short-circuit or not. 

Do you recommend dummy load for testing? 

Thank you for your time, I appreciate it.

Regards.

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Yes, I recommend a dummy load and also a test with a normal input voltage, possibly with an isolating transformer for safety reasons. Then you can also view the output signal with a scope.