cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TSM1012

PG.6
Associate II

Hai,

I wanted to make a battery charger using non isolated boost IC. I came across this TSM Voltage and current controller IC. But this IC has been only used in insolated application. Is it possible to use this IC in non isolated converter. I will attach the block diagram of the same.

9 REPLIES 9
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome, @Community member G​, to the community!

You should be able to use the TSM1012 in a non-isolated project, as long as the boost IC is controlled by a pulldown similar to an optocoupler.

Good luck!

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the quick reply. Is it okay if i use an opto-coupler for feedback in an non-isolated converter along with TMS IC. Will this be able to charge Li- Ion battery?

Regards,

Praveen Kumar G

Yes, you can do it with an opto-coupler, but that's wasted money.

As I said - TSM1012 could drive the boost IC directly if this boost IC can be controlled by a transistor of an optocoupler. The TSM1012 contains a pull-down structure, which is very similar to that transistor.

Regards

/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
PG.6
Associate II

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the quick reply. I have made the design as per my understanding as you mentioned. I have attached the same. Please advice me further on this if the design will work or are there any issue i need to consider.

Regards,

Praveen Kumar G

This combination doesn't work because you have two control amplifiers in a row. But even the wiring of the TSM1012 is not correct, because CV is connected to the output voltage divider, but does not get a reference voltage because you did not connect CV + to Vref. In addition, the TSM1012 has two transconductance amplifiers at the output, which drive a current to GND, so that an npn bipolar transistor (here Q6) cannot be connected in this way.

It might be possible to connect the output Out of the TSM1012 directly to the COMP input, but the filter network at COMP must be recalculated. The supplier of this booster can certainly help with this.

Regards

/Peter

PG.6
Associate II

Hello Peter

So its not possible to give the output of TMS1012 directly to Feedback of the Booster IC. Will it be possible if i use an opto?. I have made changes in the design. Please advice. Parallelly I will contact the Booster IC supplier to discuss about your suggestion.

Thanks & Regards,

Praveen Kumar G

No, this won't work either, because you still connect the output of the first error amplifier (TSM1012) with the input of the second error amplifier within the booster. That's why I proposed a direct connection of Out (TSM1012) to COMP (TPS55340).

Regards

/Peter

PG.6
Associate II

Hello Peter

Thank you for the advice. I will take it further with the Booster IC manufacturer.

Thanks & Regards,

Praveen Kumar G

PG.6
Associate II

Hello Peter

Can you suggest any booster IC with which i can integrate the TMS1012.

Regards,

Praveen Kumar G