cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STBC15 output current?

icharala
Associate II

Hi all,

I recently stumbled upon STBC15 and I am interested in integrating it into our next design. However, I am lacking a critical parameter from the datasheet: what is the typical and maximum allowed current flowing from VBAT to the OUT pin?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Sorry, I hadn't read your question correctly. The maximum current for the M3 transistor is indeed not specified, but it results from the intended applications.

The LiIO batteries typically used in low current applications are not only charged with max 1C, but normally also discharged with max 1C.

In the data sheet, table 5, you will find the Rdson of the transistors M1...M3 = 3 ohms,  i.e. all identical parameters. Because this Rdson generally determines the maximum current in the FET, this results in the same maximum current of 40mA as the max charging current.

When selecting the current through M3, please bear in mind that its power dissipation increases quadratically with the current.

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Welcome @icharala, to the community!

depending on the configuration of the pins ISET0 and ISET1 this charge current is either 10mA, 20mA, 30mA or 40mA (see data sheet, table 8).

Hope this answers your question?

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
icharala
Associate II

Hello @Peter BENSCH and thank you for your quick response! This is the charge current (from charge input towards the battery) and this is clear.

But from what I see the component has a power path from the battery towards OUT (when the transistor M3 in on and there is no voltage on CHGIN). I am asking for the recommended/maximum current on that path.

I guess a safe assumption would be "no more than the charge current" but I am curious if there is any chance to be bigger than 40mA...

Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Sorry, I hadn't read your question correctly. The maximum current for the M3 transistor is indeed not specified, but it results from the intended applications.

The LiIO batteries typically used in low current applications are not only charged with max 1C, but normally also discharged with max 1C.

In the data sheet, table 5, you will find the Rdson of the transistors M1...M3 = 3 ohms,  i.e. all identical parameters. Because this Rdson generally determines the maximum current in the FET, this results in the same maximum current of 40mA as the max charging current.

When selecting the current through M3, please bear in mind that its power dissipation increases quadratically with the current.

Regards
/Peter

icharala
Associate II

Gotcha, that makes sense.

And yes, I can estimate the power dissipation from the resistance. Would be nice to know the absolute maximum though 🙂