cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limiting DC current@110V to 2A

rishi2
Associate III

I am trying to design a current limiting circuit at 110vDC.(Range 90-140)
Need to limit the current at 2A and provide short protection on the line.
Is there any ST mosfets which can help acheive this requirement.
Or I am wondering if there is any reference design which can help us to quickly achieve this.

4 REPLIES 4
Peter BENSCH
ST Employee

Well, you will hardly find suitable MOSFETs for this nowadays, because you have to burn at least the difference of 140V-110V, which results in 60W power loss at 2A. Transistors manufactured using planar technology (MOSFETs or BJTs) may be suitable for such linear regulators, but with today's technologies optimised for switching applications, such as trench, the transistors can form thermal hotspots, which then lead to their destruction.

For the reasons mentioned above, I would not recommend a MOSFET, but would try to find a BJT (bipolar junction transistor) manufactured using planar technology, which is already difficult enough. By searching for "current limiter" you should find plenty of suggestions for this application, which only need to be adapted to your circumstances 

Regards
/Peter

In order to give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.
PGump.1
Senior III

Hi,

Polyswitch...

Kind regards
Pedro

AI = Artificial Intelligence, NI = No Intelligence, RI = Real Intelligence.
MasterT
Lead

Elaborate on specific of limit, is it linear or something like trip /switching off quickly?

I'd start from research on DC/DC switching regulators, most of them (if not all)   employ current limiting OCP circuitry, just find one in desired voltage range.

Requirement is to control the inrush currents, so probably it would be few micro seconds when it goes beyond  2A at load startup.

And for short protection is optional feature at the moment and i am not sure if can be achieved easily through mosfet design.