cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to read the battery percentage of the device connected by USB-C?

DPena.1
Associate

We want to develop a USB-C charger and we need to check the battery charge percentage of the device connected to the USB-C charger. The connected to de USB-C device can be a Smartphone, Tablet or PC.

In our charger we are going to integrate a processor and we need to read the battery percentage of the device that is being charged

Is it possible to read the battery percentage of the device connected by USB-C? Any ST reference can do this job?

4 REPLIES 4
NBALL
ST Employee

Hello

Battery_status message can provide SOC of sink.

The info will be available only on PD3 sink (designed with version >= PD3.0 v1.2).

PD2 devices don't have such message.

Those informations are handled in dpm_user part and need to be updated by user/customer.

Best regards

DPena.1
Associate

Hello NBALL,

Thanks for the info. Do you know of any component that I can integrate into my design that will allow charging and communication with PD3.0 v1.2?

Best regards,

NBALL
ST Employee

Hello

In SW packages linked to stusb1602, there is compilation switch which can enable battery message feature: please see in the QuickStart document of the package you will select.

Link to the page is https://www.st.com/en/interfaces-and-transceivers/stusb1602.html#tools-software

Best regards

AdAms2
Associate

Hi DPena,
I know it's been a will since you posted this. I'm trying to implement the same as you, can you give me your feedback and did you manage to make it function? 

Best regards