cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get 60W profile from STUSB 4500 ?

Vincent Palma
Associate II

So i need a sink setup with the standalone stusb 4500 but i can not find examples on how to make a 20v 3a setup for negotiation. Anyone who could bring some light into this ? Maybe you have a schematic you could share so that we all can find or is it simply not possible ?

7 REPLIES 7
Vincent Palma
Associate II

I read something in the manual page 21 about

I_SNK_PDO_LUT[3:0] Parameter Value 1011b  for 3A output but is this only possible through software or is it applicable through hardware?

Benoit FORET
ST Employee

​Hello Vincent,

assuming you have STEVAL-ISC005V1 boards in hands, you can download the STSW-STUSB002 Graphical User Interface to customise your STUSB4500 profile. a Nucleo boards is required to bridge your laptop to the STEVAL-ISC005V1. Please check STSW-STUSB002 Quick start guide.

Hope it helps,

rgds,

Benoit

Vincent Palma
Associate II

Hi again, as I understood it is possible to get this profile by setting up the hardware directly. I.e. not using the GUI you refer to, or any bridge to the laptop.

Benoit FORET
ST Employee

Hi Vincent,

no direct hardware​ settings, as there are too many combinations (up to 3 power profiles, all customizable from about 7.5W to 100W). I2C access to customize either the RAM or Non Volatile Memory is required. The GUI is still the easiest way.

rgds,

benoit

Vincent Palma
Associate II

I see ,

Does it matter which PDO port im using on the STUSB4500 to get the 20v 3A or is it simply programmable ?

I only need one profile

Benoit FORET
ST Employee

Hi Vincent,

This is programmable. As per USB standard requirements, 5V profile is mandatory, so you can't remove it. If only 20V profile is supported by your application, there is a tip: Just set the number of PDO to 2, and also tick the "POWER_ONLY_ABOVE_5V" option, so that your application will not be powered at 5V when negotiation ends with a 5V results.

An additional tip (in case you application can support less than 3A @ 20V): set the PDO current to the minimum workable (for instance 2.25A would allow to comply with 45W chargers, increasing the interoperability with universal chargers). By enable the REQ_SRC_CURRENT feature, this will make sure you application will always book the maximum current offered by the SOURCE.

Rgds,

Benoit

Gregory Go.
Senior II

The PDO1 is always 5V, following the USB PD specification.

Then the 20V profile is typically the highest profile

So:

• if you have to 2 power profiles (5V and 20V), the PDO2 will be 20V.
  • if you have to 3 power profiles (5V , xx V ,and 20V), the PDO3 will be 20V.