cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, what can I do with a L6235D to improve its thermal characteristics to reach max output current? Thanks

Na.11
Associate II

Good day

I am currently designing a BLDC driver, with the L6235D chip, ideally I wanted to use the L6235PD but there isn't any stock available.

So basically I am concerned that the L6235D will not be able to drive my motor, the motor requires at least 1.5A, based on my thermal calculations it would seem like the L6235D would be running at a very marginal point. Is there anything I can do to reduce the thermal coefficient?

Kind regards

Yuveer

3 REPLIES 3
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @Na.1​ and welcome to the ST Community.

I can only suggest to use an heatsink with a thermal interface material.

Take into account, however, that with this type of package the benefits are negligible.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution"
Hi Christiana
Thank you for your reply.
I thought about that, do you suggest adding the thermal interface material to the bottom of the chip?
Thanks
Yuveer

Hi @Na.1​,

I edited the previous post because I would not want to pass the message that heatsink can be resolving.

Also the effect of the thermal interface material to the bottom of the chip (or between the top and heatsink) can be negligible.

The main role of thermal dissipation in SO package are to the leads.

If you feel a post has answered your question, please click "Accept as Solution"