cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EVAL- SCS001V1: Doubts regarding type of source, configuration and output.

AshutoshK
Associate III

Hello There!

I have bought EVAL- SCS001V1 sink device for my application in which I need the output as 12V/2A from the mentioned sink device. I came across below problems and I seek help on it.

1) Problem related to STSW-STUSB002 GUI version 2.0.

The first problem is with the GUI version 2.0 as specified. When I made hardware connections as mentioned in the quick start document and I tried to connect the Nucleo- F072RB with the GUI 2.0, I got an error which says " The Parameter is Incorrect". and I'm unable to connect the hardware with the GUI 2.0.

I have resolved this issue by using the previous version ( STSW-STUSB002 GUI 1.09 ). So my hardware got detected in this version and I was able to program or write the NVM successfully. In the Connection Status of the GUI 1.09 it showed that " OK STUSB4500_L  Detected (COM19), at address 0x28 (I2C bus 1)" sharing image below.

OKconfigure_win.jpg

2) Problem related to the usage of the source device and selecting desired PDO's.

Currently I'm using the 65W mobile phone charger as the source device. I was not aware of the charging technology it was using. I was not able to switch the PDO profiles at the output. I was getting constant output 5V whereas the required is 12V. So if I'm not wrong the source must be USB PD technology support.

I need help on the available sources which I can use. And how can I select the desired PDO from configured PDO's in NVM to get the desired output 12V/2Amps.

Ashu
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hello

All PD3 sources support also PD2. Please note that 12V is not a mandatory voltage node. Only 5-9-15-20 are, depending on source power. So most probably, PD3 source which you are using does not provide 12V as fix PDO: that's why you cannot get 12V at stusb4500 output. (see 
STUSB4500 algo selects fix PDO based on source fix PDO offer.

As fix PDOs power rules and object are same in both PD2 and PD3, our sink works with both PD2 and PD3 sources.

stusb4500 is not able to get PPS voltage because PPS PDO is only a PD3 object.

The PDO number refers to the request sent by STUSB4500: it has requested 3rd source PDO which was, in this case, 12 volt.  15V will be 4th PDO of the source as they need to by ordered by increasing voltage. 9V is the second.

Best regards

Nathalie

View solution in original post

60 REPLIES 60
NBALL
ST Employee

Hello AshutoshK,

May I ask you to share a picture of the board you are using ?
As per the snapshot shared, it seems it is eval-scs002v1 and not eval-scs001v1.

As eval-scs002v1 is stusb4500L which is TypeC only: you will never be able to get more than 5V.
Best rgeards

Nathalie

About the GUI issue, the whole package needs to be installed as some libraries have changed.
Best regards

Nathalie

Hi Nathalie,

The Eval board I ordered is EVAL-SCS001V1 (image attached below) but in the GUI in connection status why it is showing STUSB4500_L don't know instead it must show STUSB4500. Don't know if this is creating an issue?

I think the device I have ordered is right!

IMG_20240320_163838.jpg

IMG_20240320_163708.jpg

Ashu

Could you please send me the latest working GUI I have with me 1.08, 1.09, 2.0. But 2.0 not working.

Ashu

in zip file available on web, there is VC_redist.x86.exe file
Can you please confirm that you executed the file prior to execute STUSB4500_GUI_2.00.exe ?

Yes, I did executed VC_redist.x86.exe , before opening the GUI 2.0 exe

I followed all the steps which were mentioned in the quick start document. 

Ashu

Hello

We just figure out that depending on STLink FW of STM32F072 board, it may not work as expected.

Could it be possible to update to latest available one which can be found here: https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-link007.html ?

Best regards

Nathalie

AshutoshK
Associate III

Yes I have updated STlink FW when I was installing drivers at the start of my evaluation. Thanks for the same.

Also I have an update, my configuration worked and I got +12V at the output. In dashboard window its showing PDO3 is selected (Attaching screen shot for your reference). I have changed the source to PD compatible.

So basically what I have understood is the source which we are using must be compatible to sink i.e the source must have USB PD 2.0 if your sink is PD 2.0. I have also tried on source supporting latest PPS technology having the required output profiles but it didn't worked with eval-scs002v1. To work with the sink having PD 2.0 source must be PD supported. I have one doubt please enlighten me on this., In STUSB4500 datasheet it is given PD2.0 , PD3.0 compatible then why it didn't worked for PPS. As PPS is extension of the PD3.0 what I think it must work.

I have one observation regarding NVM PDO configuration. I have connected the load to the output of eval-scs001v1 which I measured and found 12V. In the Dashboard of GUI it is showing "Explicit Contract with PDO 3". But on PDO3 I have configured 15V profile and on PDO2 12V. What can be the possible cause that profile Explicitly selected is PDO3 but the output I'm getting at eval-scs001v1 is +12V, it must be +15V according to the selected PDO3.

Config_Final_12V.jpg

Dashboard_PDO3 selected.jpg

Ashu

Hello

All PD3 sources support also PD2. Please note that 12V is not a mandatory voltage node. Only 5-9-15-20 are, depending on source power. So most probably, PD3 source which you are using does not provide 12V as fix PDO: that's why you cannot get 12V at stusb4500 output. (see 
STUSB4500 algo selects fix PDO based on source fix PDO offer.

As fix PDOs power rules and object are same in both PD2 and PD3, our sink works with both PD2 and PD3 sources.

stusb4500 is not able to get PPS voltage because PPS PDO is only a PD3 object.

The PDO number refers to the request sent by STUSB4500: it has requested 3rd source PDO which was, in this case, 12 volt.  15V will be 4th PDO of the source as they need to by ordered by increasing voltage. 9V is the second.

Best regards

Nathalie