Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive 2 motors simultaneously

UDanz.1
Associate II

Hi all,

I'm using L6482H stepper.

The need has arisen to drive 2 motors simultaneously, with the same profile.

I was thinking about daisy chaining the SYNC output of the first driver with the STCK of the second driver. But I understand that this will not quite do the job, because at best the output of SYNC is half the frequency of the stepper counter.

Is this correct?

Is there any way around this?

If not, are there other (microstepping) components that can be used for simultaneous motion without having to use a multi motor controller ?

Thanks,

Uri

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @UDanz.1​ and welcome to the ST Community.

The right solution is the daisy chain.

You can find a detailed description on how to realize a daisy chain architecture with L6482 devices in the dedicated application note AN4290

In the paragraph 2 Daisy chain you can find the connection diagram and an example of time diagram.

Let me know if these info are useful to you, if yes please "Select as Best" button to close the topic.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Cristiana SCARAMEL
ST Employee

Hello @UDanz.1​ and welcome to the ST Community.

The right solution is the daisy chain.

You can find a detailed description on how to realize a daisy chain architecture with L6482 devices in the dedicated application note AN4290

In the paragraph 2 Daisy chain you can find the connection diagram and an example of time diagram.

Let me know if these info are useful to you, if yes please "Select as Best" button to close the topic.

UDanz.1
Associate II

Thanks!

That is definitely helpful.

Now I was just told that due to a stringent acceleration profile requirement, we need to implement an S-curve profile.

Is this possible using this driver (I see only a trapeze profile)...

If no, are there any similar drivers that can implement this profile in the ST offering?

Thanks!

Uri

Hello @UDanz.1​,

with L6482 motor controller the acceleration and deceleration parameters can be modified only when the motor is stopped.

So, it is not possible to implement a S-curve profile using the IC speed profile.

You can use an external MCU and drive the L6482 in Step-clock mode.

Please, "Select as Best" the proper reply to the original question.

UDanz.1
Associate II

Hi again,

Do you have any drivers which can support S-curves?

Is this supported by the cubeMX SW?

Thanks,

Uri

UDanz.1
Associate II

Also, would it not be possible to achieve s-curve using Step-clock mode?

Thanks again,

Uri

Hi @UDanz.1​,

I had already added this detail to my previous reply.

You can use an external MCU and drive the L6482 in Step-clock mode.

The STM32CubeMX can help you to configure the STM32 and to generate the corresponding initialization C code.

You have to write your customized FW to drive the L6482.

UDanz.1
Associate II

Thanks!

Sorry, i didn't notice that detail in previous reply.

Best Regards,

Uri