cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Invalid File Format

PGyur.1
Associate II

I'm trying to edit a power supply design project that I just recently worked on. However, when I try to open it I get an "Invalid File Format" error. Any idea how to fix this?

5 REPLIES 5
SBEN .2
Senior II

Hello @PGyur.1​ ,

Could you specify which software you're using? Otherwise, this kind of errors indicate that the file has been corrupted. Using an SCM in addition to a valid backup strategy would reduce the impact of file corruption/loss (losing a day's work instead of a month's work).

Best regards,

@SBEN .2​ 

PGyur.1
Associate II

The software is the online eDesignSuite for switching power supply design.

I don't know what an SCM is. Could you explain?

Paul

SBEN .2
Senior II

Hello @PGyur.1​ ,

Well, if you could provide the file itself to check it? To be honest with you, unless the corruption is minimal, there's chance of the file being recovered is extremely slim.

Otherwise, An SCM (Source Control Manager) allows you to version files, to have them store locally or remotely, and generally to keep a full file history from its creation to its present state: Version control. Examples of SCMs are git and subversion. It shouldn't be an alternative for backups but it should allow you to keep your file history and get back to the last working state.

Best regards,

@SBEN .2​ 

PGyur.1
Associate II

Thanks for the information. In this case, since the design was fresh in my head, I started it over from scratch.

I wasn't aware that design files could be downloaded. I guess that's what the export option is for.

Since the eDesignSuite is a web based application, I assumed my files would be useless anywhere else. I didn't think of exporting them for backup purposes. I guess I need to rethink that.

Out of curiosity, I exported the file in question and viewed the file contents. All it contained was the word null. I guess there's not much recovery to be done here. I'm assuming this happened when I tried to save the project, but who knows? Anyway, thanks for the backup suggestion.

Paul

Patrizia BELLITTO
ST Employee

Hello @PGyur.1​ ,

sorry for the problem occurred to your project file, surely there was an error when the design was saved on our servers.

We can try to investigate further: can you please give me some details about your project? Type of application (DC/DC, AC/DC), part number, day and hour you worked on it and so on.

In this way maybe I could understand what happened and why.

Thanks and best regards,

@Patrizia BELLITTO​